Fish are acting crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

builtf0rdtough

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, today Ive noticed some wierd stuff, and frankly Im mad at my pink neon. Ive got three neons and they are seeming almost territorial, they keep chasing and nipping my guppies when they go by, and then the two guppies seem like they are courting....the yellow(bigger tail fins) is chasing the orange(smaller tail fins) around and playing with each other.....does it seem like theres some mating/egg dropping going on? my two glass cats are just chillin like normal and the pleco is likewise just chillin around. Thanks

Could be but hard to say. What size tank, and list the types of each fish in there and how many of each.

Also is this a new tank? Has it been properly cycled? Do you know the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels in the tank? Just to rule out or address water quality issues...

Neons can be very nippy if not kept in appropriately sized school. Having only 3 will make them uncomfortable, stressed and potentially more aggressive.

I'd add at least another 3...the more the merrier (tank space and water parameter allowing). I recently upped my school from 6 to 12, and it's like they're completely different fish. It's a cool sight to see a large group of colorful fish schoaling through the tank.

I'm not overly familiar with guppys, but yeah, they're constantly breeding. Having a proper male : female ratio is important for the sake of keeping the peace.

GodFan said:
Pink neons?

I'm assuming the OP is referring to Pink Neon Tetras (a new variation I've seen limited info on...but they appear to be just a different strain of Neon Tetras).

If it's a different species entirely you can disregard. I can't think of many off the top of my head which would be in with Guppys which are pink other than pink Glofish...hopefully it's not something like Pink Kissing Gouramis.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to Pink Neon Tetras (a new variation I've seen limited info on...but they appear to be just a different strain of Neon Tetras).

If it's a different species entirely you can disregard. I can't think of many off the top of my head which would be in with Guppys which are pink other than pink Glofish...hopefully it's not something like Pink Kissing Gouramis.
I wanna see those. I thought he meant it was painted or dyed...

GodFan said:
I wanna see those. I thought he meant it was painted or dyed...

To be honest I kinda glanced over the "pink" part and just saw "Neon" mentioned. A quick search luckily showed me they do exist so I won't look like a total idiot, haha.

To be honest I kinda glanced over the "pink" part and just saw "Neon" mentioned. A quick search luckily showed me they do exist so I won't look like a total idiot, haha.
lol can you post a link? I couldnt find anything.

lol Pink neon isnt the actual name, everyone trips over that. I believe glofish is the actual name of the pink guy I was talking about. The tank is a month old now, got the tank on sep 8th and fish on the 9th, didnt know to cycle the tank first. Did a water change yesterday, bout to do another one in a min or two with a vac. Its a 29g, and like I said in the first post on here ive got 3 neons, 2 fancy guppies, 2 glass cats and a pleco. Ive also got some plants in there to help move things along as well as some driftwood.

builtf0rdtough said:
lol Pink neon isnt the actual name, everyone trips over that. I believe glofish is the actual name of the pink guy I was talking about. The tank is a month old now, got the tank on sep 8th and fish on the 9th, didnt know to cycle the tank first. Did a water change yesterday, bout to do another one in a min or two with a vac. Its a 29g, and like I said in the first post on here ive got 3 neons, 2 fancy guppies, 2 glass cats and a pleco. Ive also got some plants in there to help move things along as well as some driftwood.

Okay, if it's a pink Glofish (modified Zebra Danio) the same info applies that I said about the Neon Tetras. They're schooling fish that require an appropriately sized school.

However, since you're cycling...adding fish is the last thing you want to do right now. I'd just focus on getting the parameters stable and increase their school to a larger size over time.

If you haven't already seen it...here's a great article on fish-in cycling-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Yea I read it before, I did a 10g change and vac last night, gonna check the levels here in a little bit, but the ammonia last night was between the .25 to .50 so they werent that high. dang plants keep uprooting and end up floating at the top lol, I wonder if they fish keep pullin em up by playin around with them. Started feeding once every 3 days, think that has helped out. I run my lights 8 hrs, should I do 10 or leave it the way it is?

You need to get a few more glofish or zebra danios to fill out a school. They're very active fish and like to chase each other around, when there isn't enough of them they tend to make other similar sized fish "honorary" zebra danios, and very few fish like having that honor. LOL.

I have 8 of them, and they keep to themselves. I used to have my filter outlet spraying up top to create surface agitation, and they would swim all around the tank. I recently stopped doing that, and now they like to hang out near the top and be less of a bother to other fish, I think it's because now they can actually see what's above the water surface and feel less threatened.

img_1589509_0_286be0927802cec7de387df2800ae2bd.jpg

But no more fish until the tank is cycled and has been stable for at least a week. They're just gonna have to deal with the chasing until then. Trust me that fish would rather be chased a bit rather than deal with potential ammonia and nitrIte poisoning.

yea thats a big t4, I wasnt planing on gettin more fish until everything is settled down. My drift wood is starting to collect some algae, I take it this is a good sign!

Back
Top Bottom