Fish died???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perrytheparrotfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 28 gallon bowfront tank and i came home one night and all of my fish were belly up:( I am going to go get a test kit and see what was wrong. Any ideas what might have been wrong?

Any bullying in tank ?? What fish do you have in your tank? What fish died??? Test kit will help.

bullying wouldn't kill all of his fish. when was your last water change? have you done anything differently to the tank lately?

also, there is no point in testing now. there will probably be extremely high ammonia from all the dead fish. having a test kit will still help to prevent these things though. i'd go with an API master kit.

Was the tank cycled? When was the last water change? Did you remember to dechlorinate the water?

blackmolly said:
bullying wouldn't kill all of his fish. when was your last water change? have you done anything differently to the tank lately?

Well he could be eaten or picked on to death happen to me when I put wrong fish together.

Fishie said:
Well he could be eaten or picked on to death happen to me when I put wrong fish together.

Yes it could happen to 1-2 fish in that amout of time, but you would see signs of bullying. 1 mean fish cant wipe out every other fish in a matter of hours..

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yes it could happen to 1-2 fish in that amout of time, but you would see signs of bullying. 1 mean fish cant wipe out every other fish in a matter of hours..

I just reread the first part after I read this I didn't know all of them DIED!! Yes your right ^ Wow I feel stupid. Sorry to hear that though.

As previously stated, you'll have an ammonia spike from all the dead fish. Did you recently do a water change? Feed anything different? Was something knocked into the tank? Any new rocks or decor added?

I had a blood parrot, and 2 plecos and it had been a month since the last water Change...no bullying and they all died at the same time. After they died I did a 50% water change and the tank has been running for around 6 months

A month is a very long time to go without a water change. That could have been at least part of the reason.

Perrytheparrotfish said:
I had a blood parrot, and 2 plecos and it had been a month since the last water Change...no bullying and they all died at the same time. After they died I did a 50% water change and the tank has been running for around 6 months

What kind of plecos? A month is a longish time

Nu-Nu the eel said:

This would mean it was a mass homicide and then suicide when he realized he couldn't get away with it!

To the OP... I'm sorry you lost your fish! :(

Perrytheparrotfish said:
They are common plecos.

Not trying to bum your day or anything but those plecos need a bigger home they can grow up to 2 feet! Mines at almost 9 inches!

To have all fish, different species, die at once is odd. My first thought is a heater malfunction. What was the temp?

Back
Top Bottom