Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gu2high

Aquarium Advice Freak
Someone caught several small catfish at a New Jersey river and gave my kid one. It is a 1 inch small fish.
Can anyone tell me the name of the fish? Thanks!

After a little search, I guess it is a Black Bullhead Catfish. It can reach 24"

http://njscuba.net/biology/fw_fishes_bottom.html

Attachments

• img_6527_222.jpg
    img_6527_222.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 396
  • img_6529_136.jpg
    img_6529_136.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 403
  • img_6530_157.jpg
    img_6530_157.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 397
I kept a couple many years ago, and boy do they grow fast when well fed. Any fish that has been kept in a tank, at home really shouldn't go back.

Personally, I believe that a wild fish should be living in the wild, put it back in the river from where it was taken from... :(

But it is a nice looking fish though... :D

BillD said:
I kept a couple many years ago, and boy do they grow fast when well fed. Any fish that has been kept in a tank, at home really shouldn't go back.
''

See, i think the other way. Any fish that has been kept in a water system in the wild should never be kept in a tank.

I'm a bit of a hypocrit saying this though because i have had wild caught fish in my collection. :oops:

Pardon me, but every fish in every tank in the world either came from the wild or are descendants of fish that came from the wild.

The issue with this fish is it's size, and the unlikely chance that a person could provide a large enough habitat for it to be happy.

All ottos in aquarium tanks are caught in wild.

LOL, I have a fishing licence and have caught and eaten many fish from the river.

I will release this baby, however.

There is nothing wrong with keeping native fish (assuming it's legal in your area :mrgreen:). Alot of the fish at your LFS were caught from the wild.

But definitely be wary of native fish you try to keep. Some can get huge. lol

Blazeherd2306 said:
There is nothing wrong with keeping native fish (assuming it's legal in your area :mrgreen:). Alot of the fish at your LFS were caught from the wild.

And don't forget the fact that they could be carrying diseases or parasites which could harm any other fish placed with the wild fish... 8O

gu2high said:
All ottos in aquarium tanks are caught in wild.

Most, not all. It is possible, albeit rare, to breed ottos.

Assuming it is legal in your area to keep these... I personally don't see a problem with keeping them. I don't even see a problem with releasing them if they get too big as long as you are releasing them into the habitat they came from.

The main concern over habitat contamination is that the species may be invasive and destroy other species, but since this species is already there then how can that possibly happen?

SparKy697 said:
Pardon me, but every fish in every tank in the world either came from the wild or are descendants of fish that came from the wild.

I understand that. But some which have been bred in home aquaria for years are diffirent in my opinion. Like if you wanted a new pet dog you wouldent go chasing down a dingo or a wolf. Most dogs are descendants of these, but have become better suited for life in homes. Same goes for aquarium fish.

I still shouldn't talk though

Anyhow, in Ontario, you can keep small fish such as minnows and darters. But you cannot keep large game fish such as pike, bass, pickeral... in home aquaria. You can however keep catfish, but nobody does because of the size.

I caught a few hundred black bullheads a few weeks ago, is that time of year to see the young swarming near the banks. I used al the small ones as feeders, and kept 1/2 dozen larger ones (about 1.5 inches) in the 75 and am growin em out a bit. Once they are too big, they are going back into the pond.

2cvbloke said:
Blazeherd2306 said:

And don't forget the fact that they could be carrying diseases or parasites which could harm any other fish placed with the wild fish... 8O

That is why quarantining was invented. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom