Fish-in or fishless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeldmansFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the best way to cycle a tank? (Trying to avoid bacterial additives)
:thanks:

I have done both and I would suggest doing a fishless. You can really lose a lot of fish if you are not careful doing a fish in and you can never be too careful. Plus fishless takes a lot less time I find, patience but less time in the end.

Calypso77 said:
I have done both and I would suggest doing a fishless. You can really lose a lot of fish if you are not careful doing a fish in and you can never be too careful. Plus fishless takes a lot less time I find, patience but less time in the end.

+1 to fishless cycling.

Especially if you can seed the new filter with media from an existing tank.

My fishless cycle too 22 days to complete with around 6 50-80% PWC during that time to keep levels on a readable scale.

I used lab grade ammonia from a school where I work.

Jon

Ya my fishless took 2 weeks. My fish in more like 8 weeks.

I Cycled my First Tank w/ Fish

Hello Feld...

I cycled my first 30 G with Guppies and everything went fine. The tank was large enough, so there was plenty of water to cover my errors and the 8 feeder Guppies were hardy enough and had no problem surviving the process.

I did use some gravel and a couple of decorations from an established tank, but I just kept a close watch on the water chemistry and changed out a third of the water when my tests showed a trace of ammonia or nitrites and added some more feeders when the time came.

Now, I have five large tanks and several hundred Fancy Guppies and quite a few Corydoras.

B

FeldmansFish said:

It's all personal preference. I've only done fish IN, my 10g took 8 wks & the 46g took about 6 wks. Fish IN means being a little more diligent, testing water daily & doing more water changes. I would ask . . . How long can you go without seeing fish & do you have the time for a fish IN?

Back
Top Bottom