Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2005, 11:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another context that this could have come up in is that people will often get a larger number of a particular type of fish than they intend to keep in the hopes of getting a mating pair (common example being angels). The remaining fish, however, would most likely be brought back to the LFS.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
another issue you seem to raise is members or a member restocking a tank that obviously had fish in it before..
Ive read this before here myself, more then once.. If the member doesnt mention how they are dealing with there old stock.. its safe to assume the fish were taken to a LFS for store credit IMO. I really doubt anyone is flushing or throwing away a tank full of electric yellow labs. because they wanted to switch over to discus.. for example.. I try to leave it at that and not bug them with the "why did you change your mind" questions..

Old 10-19-2005, 04:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I sure hope that nobody is disposing of live fish by flushing them! It's cruel for the fish. I'd also be concerned that it introduces a species, bacterias, parasites and what not in the environment -- considering that there are still cities that reject their waste water without treating them first (I wouldn't even flush a dead fish...).

I really think that people who decide to change the fish in their tank for different kinds, or to cycle a tank with fish they don't intend to keep (goldfish and zebra danios seem to be in that category), or who can't keep a fish that got too big, will take them back to the lfs. Maybe someday there will be fish adoption (and protection...) at the Humane Society!
1 Corydoras Aenus (Bronze Corys), 1 Corydoras Panda, 6 Glolight Tetras, 3 Otocinclus, 1 Spotted Borneo, 4 Amano Shrimps, 1 Panda Dwarf Cichlid, 4 Cryptocoryne Wendtii, 1 Anubias Nana, 2 Straight Vallisneria, 1 Water Wisteria, 1 Java Fern, Java Moss, 1 Dwarf Ambulia
vero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, I at least know where the pacu retirment home is.
Its at this seriously old fish shop by me that has about 8 pacus that are seriously pushing over 2 feet. I was going to try to post some pics of this just to try to get some people to not buy them.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com