fish stocking ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had my stocking list for my 138 litre long-36 gallon I think all planned out and now I'm not sure. The tank is cycled with stable levels, has been for a while how ever my tap water levels are a bit rubbish (nitrate was about 40ppm) so I've began gradually using some RO water too to make the levels a bit better and my nitrates are now about 20ppm and gradually getting lower with each water change.
I currently have,
5 guppies,
3 cories - I had 4 but lost one, hed been ill ever since I bought him and wasn't eating properly :(
5 rosey fin tetra
1 bristlenose pleco

My plan was to add german blue rams but my ph is just too high (was 8.2, graudually coming down from RO water) but I don't want to risk getting them now because I don't think ill be able to get my ph or levels low enough for them to thrive and I considered getting bolivian rams but they're really hard to find round here and I'm not as keen on them.
I had a pearl gourami but he had a freak death which was never explained, people may remember my post and I liked him but I think the current in my tank is a bit much for a gourami as I have 2 internal filters.

I like bigger fish, not so much schools of little ones, but I know I am getting close to stocked, so suggestions please on centerpiece fish that I could add which would be suitable for my tank. Possibly something a bit different.
How sensitive are apistogrammas? Double reds possibly. Thanks

If I remeber correctly Bolivian rams are hardier than german blues and can tolerate a wider ph range- I'm not sure though so you'll have to look into it, but I think bolivian rams would work.

I cantt seem to find bolivian rams around here anywhere for some reason. Thanks for the reply though. Any way I could add a keyhole cichlid? From reading online it says they can work in community aquariums but I want to check first

Apistogrammas are very sensitive to water quality. Are the double reds you had in mind Apisto Cacatuoides? If they are Caca's you're thinking of, they are more tolerable of water quality than most Apistos. You would need slightly acidic water though..so you gotta keep bringing that pH down.

Yeah they're the ones I mean. What sort of PH wouldbe good for them? Thanks.

And anyone able to answer on keyhole cichlids?

Back
Top Bottom