Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hes in a 29 gallon tank atm and when he gets big enough ill move him to a 90 gallon tank im setting up. ive heard a wide range of sizes a tire track needs ranging from 75 to 200 gallons. im sure the 90 will be fine for him and if your concerned that your 90 is too small for a tire track there are a few smaller eels like the peacock or one-stripe eel, they look almost identical, especially as babys.

actually give me your opinion on this because im not an expert and i dont know if this is dumb but for the filter im going to have a seperate 20 gallon tank which ill put a DIY pvc canister filter and pump in, ill have a gravity line right at the water line of the main tank feeding into the 20 where it will be run through the filter and pumped back into the main tank. ill also use the 20 gallon as a ghost shrimp colony to keep the eel fed.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #32

That seems like a really good idea! I have seen some Diys like that and they seem to work.
As for the eel, I will have to see what eels are available and see if it will be safe. They are a nice addition to a tank though.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #33

thanks for the feedback, ive not had an aquarium for a while and forgot how much i love the hobby. its easy to decide if you want an eel, if you want to be more hands on with your tank than an eel is great but if you more just want a tank to look at with minimal maintenance an eel may be a bit too much work. they are basically scaleless fish so they are more prone to bad water and such so i personally do a 30% change every week at least. as ive been researching freshwater eels ive come across a few decent sites that sell them at a reasonable price. the up side to mail ordering one is the site will usually guarantee it lives for 2 weeks or so and you can always spend a little extra to buy an adult eel if you dont want a baby. i like watching him grow so i recommend getting a younger eel. like i was saying a bit earlier, you already have sand, its a bit more of a pain to maintain but i love the look and eels love the sand, give him some dark caves and real/fake plants and your set. lastly another thing ive picked up is if your getting an eel get a few friendly bottom feeders to help keep the substrate clean for your eel. as i said im just getting back into the hobby and like an idiot i neglected to cycle my tank properly and put some fish and the eel in just after 48 hours of putting water in and the eel has not only survived but thrived and gotten much bigger so it seems eels can be rather resilient.

heh sorry im having such a great eelie time over here i cant stop singing their praise. ive never had an aquarium fish that would not only eat from my hand but one i can teach to curl up in my hand and be fed.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #34

They seem to have a nice personality if they curl up in your hand to be fed. I plan on haveing some corys in the tank or maybe a pleco so I have the bottom feeders down. I also havent done a tank in a long time and it is the first tank I have taken care of on my own. I will definitely get it while it is young so that it isn't too big for my other fish because I want to get all my fish as babies. I just need to make sure my water parameters are safe since they are scaleless
Old 11-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #35

coreys may be food for your eel, i would go with a pleco but if you really like coreys they most likely will be fine. they will for sure be ok when the eel is small but as he grows ive no idea.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #36

Maybe I will keep the corys in my 20 gallon tank then. I will definitely have to learn more about them. Once I see how big they are (and their mouths) I will see how big my other fish have to be.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #37

im basically in the same boat, im just not keeping anything too little in the tank, as of now he couldnt even come close to getting a corey in his mouth.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should start you own thread on all this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #39

sry a bit eel crazy lately.

Tags
fish, fish tank, sand, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com