fish with the most personality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtanee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! I'm gonna be getting a 65 gallon tank and I'm starting to draw up my layout of plants/substrate and the big one, the fish!
I just love a good fish with personality and character, and wanted to know what everyone's favorite was!
Mine is my German blue ram female.
Now I've never named a fish before but this one has one. Cat. Because she is too curious!
So what do ya think people? Is your a puffer? A betta? A catfish?
Input is appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tetraodon biocellatus, figure 8 puffer. Brackish water fish. Absolutely the most inquisitive little fish, brave as a soldier. I will always keep one of these. The best fish money can buy, slightly more work with the water but well worth the extra effort. If could only have one fish, that is it.

Betta's always seem to have great personalities. So do most large fish.

My oscar is the funniest fish I've ever had, or at least he thinks so! He loves to scare the daylights out of me by trying to jump out of his tank while I'm feeding or cleaning. I scream as he is flying right at my face, then when he lands back in the water he does his little happy dance and smiles his fishy little smile.

A friend on another forum has a red devil that is just full of it. Constant shenanigans with that one. She even has to put him in time out when he's being especially onery!

I love my Pygmy Cory's. Only tiny but full of playful swimming amongst themselves. I love how they follow my cherry barbs sometimes. If they aren't swimming then they are casually laying on the substrate or my decor

I haven't had nearly as many fish as most others here, so my experience is limited, but I really love my cory cats. They are the most active of all my fish and show the most variety in their behavior.

i would have to agree with rmiller, oscars do have great personalities they are like little wet puppy dogs. They always come to the top of your tank to greet you and they can be hand fed, my personal oscar always comes to the top of the tank when im about to pour food in and he waits until i lift the glass then he jumps out tryng to get the food. They also sulk and lay down in the tank when they are bored or don't get attention

I agree. I love my guppies little beggars plus they stare at you .and my Betta . Every Betta is different

It's got to be discus at number one for personality and recognition of its owner!

The only correct answer, for those with 150G tanks, is clown loaches :p

I've got 11. If you've got the space maybe at feeding time there is nothing better to watch.

Their figure eight dance for food is far too cute.

When you can't see any you also know they're all squished into some ornament like it's a clown car.

Their figure eight dance for food is far too cute.

When you can't see any you also know they're all squished into some ornament like it's a clown car.

They can be hand fed, you've got to be patient though. Mine are skittish at the moment because I just moved them. I'm happy because they come out to eat. Still it baffles me how they all fit in that whatever it is! They swim backwards like dolphins at the surface, still great to watch, then they are gone, just like that!

I have 5 corycatfish, they are great along with angel fish also have great personally...lastly my clown loach has great personality

Tiger barbs have loads and loads of personality. They're really funny fish to watch I love em!

Cichlids and puffers always seem to have the most personality and owner interaction for me, followed closely by bettas.

If you're looking for inter-fish personality, Threadfin Rainbowfish are my favorite by far. The males put on spectacular fin flicking displays and dances to each other. Second place would go to my dwarf chain loaches, as they're constantly getting into things and I laugh every time I see one swim by with a snail shell stuck on it's face :)

I have a South American Bumblebee catfish and he is so much fun to watch. He just 'bumbles' his way around the tank, hanging on decorations like a bat, hides his head in rocks like an ostrich, flies up n down the tank like a superman! One of the tetras likes to team up with him at feeding time; by following the cat and picking up pellets once they are hopped up - easy prey for tetra, lol

I would say badis have great personality. I have seen one stake out a cave and sit here with just his head sticking out watching the rest of the tank. Even scarlet badis hage great personality.
As far as best personality between fish and owner I would say in my limited experience betta fish. I had one trained to eat off my finger. He would jump just slightly out of the water to get to my finger.
I am considering a figure 8 now based on what everyone says about them. Wonder how they would get along with waspfish and everglades flounder....

cory cats are the most interesting in my tank, from 6 i have 30+ now so ill have to get a bigger tank soon. in the morning they are all dancing up and down the tank glass . besides them i would have to say cichlids. they seem much smarter fish. my angels dont move when i do water changes i have to shoo them away with my hand my rams also. my neons and rasboras all run away, but they are just there to keep my other fish comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom