Fishes for my 20G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almightymike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

I have a 20G tank and would like to make it a community tank

i plan to have some clown loaches and some kuhlie loaches.

I currently have 1 black ghost knifefish there (3")

How many clown and kuhli loaches do you recommend I put in there?

Do you recommend other fishes i could add... since all I could think of are bottom dwellers.

Thanks!!!!

mike

i know black ghost knifefishes grow big. but right now he's still small and i'm planning to get a bigger tank soon.

I'd advise against both... When deciding on company for a BGK, you have to be very choosy. They are extremely timid fish, and will not appreciate more dominant, aggressive fish. Conversely, they are also carnivorous, and small tank mates aren't recommended for when they get larger.

Kuhli loaches are very small (3 inches max) and might just be small enough to get zapped by the BGK (you do know that it has an electrical organ in the caudal peduncle, right?). Clown loaches get BIG, and can be fairly powerful, aggressive forces in a tank, though they're generally good natured. www.liveaquaria.com does not recommend either of these fish to accompany the black ghost knife. Instead, it suggests scavenger catfish (medium sized), passive new world cichlids, plecos, and "similar oddball fish" such as dragon gobies. I generally follow their guidelines.

I know that it is always a disappointment to hear that the fish you want to put together shouldn't go together, but it's also salutory to realize that not all fish are compatible. Your fish will appreciate you taking the time to ask if they are compatible with others.

But, it's always possible that someone reading this forum has combined the fish your talking about successfully... However, in a 20 Gallon tank, I really doubt this.

Also, consider that the clown loaches grow to one foot, and so will need a very large space as they mature (as will the BGK, as you mentioned before). Reckon on getting a 55 Gallon or larger tank some time in the future for the BGK. He will stay smaller if you keep him in a smaller tank, but that is not really fair to him!

Thanks for tanking the time to ask.

BTW, it is often recommended to keep the BGK in a species-only tank. I know that at least 2 AquariumAdvice members have the fish in this setup, and this seems to work. If you do a species-only, it is alright to add a pleco for algae control. Just be careful in choosing a pleco, as many species get very large. Aim for the dwarf plecos (hairy tiger, bushynose, candy stripe) and get a couple if you anticipate a real algae problem.

Also, keep the lighting in your tank low for the BGK. High light will stress him/her out. Consider getting caves for your tank--nicely shaped driftwood will do the job, or a "ghost tube." Look this up on the web--it's a transparent tube that helps you see the fish more clearly during the day, and which also gives the fish a feeling of security.

If you have the BGK in the tank now without any shelter, and with the light running for 12 hours a day, you should immediately reduce the hours of light per day, and get him some shelter. Water Sprites, and other fast-growing plants will help to cover the surface of the tank for a more natural, dappled and mellow environment.

Yup, getting one of these guys is a bit of a chore at first, but he will be rewarding if you keep him well.

I'm thinking about getting a BGK soon, and am considering a low-light setup such as a black light, or red incandescent bulbs. These should also facilitate viewing.

How long have you had the BGK?

the bgk use of its eod organ is not for shocking other fish only the electric eel that can produce around 600 volts and the electric catfish that can produce around 350 volts can shock things,other electric fish like knife fish and elephante noises only have very week electric pulses that they use for navigation not preditation or defence. i would not put a kulli in with a knife fish as it will be sucked up like a worm and the clowns will bother it too much. even if they would not eat each others, thats to many bottom fish for a 20gal.

You've gotten some really good advice here; I can only add do some more research on your knifefish. Theres some info here: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=12220&genusname=Apteronotus&speciesname=albifrons and here http://www.mongabay.com/fish/knifefish.htm and here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/knifefishfaqs.htm and lastly here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/osteoglossiforms.htm

Know that they are VERY sensitive to medication, and unfortunately can be susceptible to ich.

I would also pass on the clown loaches; while they grow somewhat slowly they DO get to be about a foot long. A 20g with all those large fish just won't work, and you never know when you'll be able to get that larger tank.

*edit* You'll have to cut n paste the first website; apparently the programming here insists the "ID" needs to be highlighted and it messes up the link.

thanks!

madasafish,

I know they have an electrical organ for navigation, but I don't think it’s that strong to electrocute other fishes. But I never new it was in his caudal peduncle. :)

My BGK is happy in the tank right now (I think) since there are a lot of places he can hide in. HE/SHE/IT also likes to move around under the rocks. Although, there's one weird thing he does. He likes to play around the aerator pump. Hehe. Weird. I also seldom open my light so most of the day the tank is dim.

I have him for about a month now and I have been feeing him frozen bloodworms, live and dried tubifex worms. But he seems to like the frozen and dried tubifex better now. Or maybe just got tired of the live tubifex worms. Anyway, it was really hard to feed him at first.

e-cat and Allivymar,

Thanks!

Mike

Oh yeah, I know they really like those pumps! I've noticed in the LFSs around me that the BGKs almost always stay near to the pump, and play in the bubbles. They are native to fast-flowing South American streams, so the bubbles are almost certainly their best way of reproducing their usual habitat.

There's one I'm just dying to buy at a store 20 blocks from me, but I just know that I really shouldn't until I've gotten another tank...

I have actually heard that the electo-pulse of the BGK is strong enough to zap little things. But, honestly, I can't remember where I read it! I'd always thought the organ was simply a replacement for the poor eyesight the fish has, but I had heard info to the contrary (probably about the more mature specimens). Nonetheless, I'll retract my statement for now! Sorry for misinforming! :oops:

Get a new tank! these fish are cool. except that you won't see them most of the time. hehe. Mine only comes out during late afternoon till early AM.

anyway, anybody out ther who has this fish in a community tank comment on this thread!

Thanks!

Aww! He's so tiny! I've only ever seen them a little bigger than that in the store. How cute! Oh, and is that a background, or are those kickin' white rocks behind the BGK?

I'll seriously consider it! Petco is having a sale on tanks right now!

just a background. :)

i don't know how much your tanks costs there but i got my 20G for roughly 10USD.

Here are more pics of my tiny BGK (hey! in the past 3 weeks, I think he's grown about half an inch :)))

Thanks for the pix! Our 20G over here cost a little more than that--$15, $20 or so. Our 10G usually cost about $10.

I've ordered a Penguin 330 filter to complement my other Penguin 330 for my big tank, and may just use this on a new tank! I think I'll get a powerhead, too, since it seems your BGK really likes it!

Is he accepting food from your fingers? I hear they get so docile that they will allow you to hand-feed them.

yup. If i put it close to the water. I don't think he minds if i'm still holding the dried tubifex. I don't know if thats what they call being "handfed" but my bgk doesn't care wheter the food is floating or if I'm still holding it. It does sometimes hits my hand when i'm putting the cone feeder in the water. hehe, hungry excited fish :mrgreen: .

Yeah, I have my fish all nipping at my hands when I put them in to move stuff around. They think anything which comes in the tank is food (including pieces of gravel I drop back in).

Yep, that counts as "hand-fed," not in the sense that you hand-feed a horse, or a goat, but close enough.

just clearing something up about fish and thier respective electrical organs.

The primary function of electric organs in all aquatic species is for navigational purposes. A majority of fish actually have some kind of extrasensory (as humans would define it) system for navigation. Whether it be for mantaining schooling formation or for navigating dark and dirty waters, these traits first evolved as sensory. A small minority of species that have possesed these traits in evolutionary predecessors have evolved to find accessory functions to these organs: such is the case with the electric eel and catfish. The primary function of the organ is still for navigation, and the accessory function is used sparingly for offensive of defensive purposes. If you've ever been to an aquarium where they have an electric eel hooked up to a voltmeter, you'll notice constant low voltage output as the animal navigates its (always way too tiny) tank. The black ghost knife is evidently not poor in sight, but merely relies on its other senses more, much like a bat is not blind but uses sonar to giude itself.

ok, i'll get out of biologist mode now... BGK are kool! :wink:

YES! they are indeed great fishes!

word of advice:
Never NEVER put a pair of BGK in the same tank or you'll end up with just one.
:lol: learned this the hard way.

but i think you can put more than two. a friend of mine has 6 in his tank.

Back
Top Bottom