Fishtank = 1 Ropefish = 0. How can I keep them in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TN Tanks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, my first ropefish turned up Awol for a day, but this isnt uncommon because he was good at hiding. When setting up my tank, I was really sure just to cut enough room for my filter pipes, ect in the hood bc I knew they are good at getting out, and it turns out, they are REALLY good at getting out. I found him dried behind my tank 8O and was very upset. How can I seal the openings of my tank up, but still be able to take the hood off the tank? I dont need any more ropefish escaping.

Oi. I'm sorry TN :(

Have you seen that new plastic wrap, the one that is sticky and will seal right onto stuff? I tried it on my planted tank to keep my bamboo shrimp in, and it worked pretty well. I think its made by Glad. You might want to give that a go (but make sure the area is dry when you stick it on).

I had a Rope fish disappear on mr a month ago and I STILL haven't found him!!!
These fish are really cool, but if your tank isn't perfectly sealed don't even bother. I had a hole in the back of my tank and taped it up with some pretty thick tape to keep him in. While I was out of town, he disappeared. He actually broke through the freakin tape! Oh yeah, he ate my cherry barb before he made the jump too b/c he went AWOL as well :x
That sneaky bastard...

Allivymar said:
Have you seen that new plastic wrap, the one that is sticky and will seal right onto stuff? I tried it on my planted tank to keep my bamboo shrimp in, and it worked pretty well. I think its made by Glad. You might want to give that a go (but make sure the area is dry when you stick it on).

Alli, genius! That's an awesome solution. I saw that stuff demoed at the grocery store and it's pretty freakin cool.

This is the stuff: Glad Pres n Seal

I just hope the fish dosn't get stuck to the press and seal o_O

I don't know how strong they are, but if you have every hole sealed up..

Maybe their pushing the lid of the tank OPEN and getting out that way?

That Press and Seal stuff is not going to keep a Ropefish in :) It is just a really really light adhesive on it. Works OK for light duty stuff, but a pesky fish with unlimited free time trying to get out of it is a different matter. If a Ropefish can get through regular tape, Press and Seal is not going to keep it in there.

For Ropefish, you really need to dedicate some effort into making sure the tank is closed up and stays that way.

Heh ok grimmie; have to admit I haven't tried it for dedicated jumpers as I don't own any. Was a thought tho!

Well, I know my Bala Shark when he jumps can make the glass hood, with the florescent strip sitting across it no less, jump up a good inch.

So I don't think press-n-seal would work good against a dedicated jumper like that ^_^;

Oh my gosh, William, I didn't know they were so tough, lol.

And duct tape is so freaking ugly! But I heard 3M makes clear duct tape.. Dangit, my goal is for my tanks to be an art piece too...

This is good info...I was thinking about getting one, but my tank is not sealed that well.

Could you keep your water level low to make it too far to get up and over the lid? How many inches would you have to lower it?

-j

the hole mine crawled through was 2 inches above the water level. Lowering it most likely won't work unless you have about a foot of space bewteen the water lever and the top, heh.

Back
Top Bottom