Fishtank Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Er...are you just asking for curiosity's sake, or so you have an idea what to get for your tank?

I have a small fluorescent bar light for my ten gallon planted betta tank that I got from Walmart. Have another of the same for my iso tank.

My QT has the hood that came with the betta tank and has two 15w flourescent screw ins. No plants.

My 55 gallon planted has a 2x 4 ft long 35w T8 fluorescent bulbs and is about to get 2x 4ft 40w T5 florescent added to it.

If you're not planted, put whatever you want that lets you see the fish (preferably without completely blinding them). If you are planted, ask and give some info and we can prolly help. :)

I use a 4 ft shop light on top of my 125 gal, 2 bulbs. 1 32 watt plant bulb & 1 40 watt plant bulb. I only grow java fern and it works for me.

Thanks guys for some great info back :)

I only started getting into the hobby a couple months back and I bought a 55 gal and I currently have a single 15W on the whole tank I know it's not great but I have just fish at the moment and I really wanted to start getting into planted tanks and I've been doing research and realised this is no where near enough so I just wanted to see what people are running in there tanks

That makes sense. I'm growing a bunch of low to med-low light plants in the 55 gallon, and my home depot shop light works just fine. The only med-high plant I have in there is surviving--not growing or spreading, but surviving. The extra light I plan on adding (also home depot shop light) is because the height of the light from the substrate has raised since making the new hood, so the amount of light reaching the plants has dropped some. Check out the threads in the Planted forum, and check out plantedtank.net for a lot of good info. :)

I got it at a hardware shop in a hood. Just placed weather strip along the edges. Will post a pic in a bit.

I have:
Bought chain and hung it from the ceiling above the tank
Set it on the glass top
and mounted it on the canopy hood I made with screws.

^_^

Ok, here it is. One 30$ shop light from westlake hardware.

ForumRunner_20120208_184010.jpg

ForumRunner_20120208_184038.jpg

Make sure to get a unit with a hood that is half a circle and the lights are recessed into the unit.

Then pick up foam tape ( one sided weather stripping)

ForumRunner_20120208_184329.jpg

Then apply strips to edges of hood.
Tada, only works for glass tops though. But for me I have 42$ invested in a decent looking twin 40 watt fixture. I know its underpowered but it works for low light plants and mosses.

Back
Top Bottom