Fluval 405...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Ok so I have this fluval 405 fcanister for about 3 years now... I have really don't anything but cleaned the sponges and rinsed the rings out every now and the (with tank water)... I ah vent changed any parts.... How will I know if the canister is still working at top condition... I haven't changed the hosing in filter(the tubes from the canister leading into the tank) as well... How can I clean it or should I change it?or should I leave it alone?

Do you have any problems with your filter ? Does your output flow seems ok ? Do you have any ammonia nitrites in your tank ? Is it making noise ? Is it leaking ?

If not, then your filter is okai, the filter job is to keep water clear and convert ammonia to nitrites then to nitrates.

If the hose get clugged, I would change them, as they very hard to clean. You must rinse the bio part with tank water, so the bacterias will have maximum surface to contact with water. You can rinse the filter pads under tap water, it will bleach them a bit and give them their original white color.

So to know if it working in top condition, make ammonia/nitrites test, and you'll know if the main part is working properly. You should get 0ppm both readings.

You can measure the flow with buck and water and compare your data with the compagny rating. Usually compagny overrate their products, so a product rated 200GPH can be 140GPH new, and without filters mass. You can go the classic way, just put your hand under the output flow, and if it make you happy, then it's working properly.

you make the water flow go in a bucket for 1 min, then you mesure the water in the buck, and multyply this volume by 60 then you'll get your GPH flow of your fluval system.

What is the buck and water test???
I reckon you have nothing to worry about there. The flow looks very strong. Canisters should last years, many more than 3 yrs. You may consider changing the O ring soon, if that cracks it can cause a leak but that's normal maintenance...I would not rinse the filter pads under tap water though. Don't worry if it looks brown, you'll never get it back to the original colour. Once you clean the gunk off, you'll be fine....

I just think that don't need any waterflow test, if it would be my filter, I would be satisfied by this water flow... Your flow look fine, just make sure your filter is clean and cycled, then you're like a fish in water !

As Ian told, next problems you'll get with your filter is the o-Ring and/or the impeller.

I suggest you get a new O-ring, can make a little/huge mess when it break. For the impeller just wait it become noisy or it stop working.

Fishboy,
Your flow looks great. Here's a tip about keeping the impellor chamber clean.
First put the strainer in your sink drain. lol In case you drop a part. In the head (or top) part of the filter you can see where the impellor chamber has a removable cap. Unclip it and take it off. Take a needle nosed pliers and pull the impellor straight out. You will see a small ceramic axle shaft sticking up. Gently pull it out. It just sits in a rubber cup hole on the bottom. Flush the chamber out under the faucet a little then take a 1/4 to 3/8" artist's paint brush and swab out the chamber all the way down to the bottom. Flush out a couple of times while you do this. Reinsert the axle shaft back into the hole. You can tell it's in there when it stands up on its own. Slip the impellor back onto the axle and reinstall the cap. I do this about once every 4 months on my Fluval. What happens is the water flow made by the impellor is mostly up by its blades. The area down around the impellor's armature is a sort of dead area where gunk can accumulate. This impellor works on a magnetic commutator principle and it doesn't take a lot to interfere with its inertia. This chamber cleaning also works well on the Aquaclear HOB's also. This will eliminate that possibility for low and sometimes noisey flow. Hope this helps, OS.

Yeah, needed to do this with my Fluval C3 HOB... I clean my eheim canister once 3 month, so I do full care when doing it... Cleaning impellor chamber is a must, too much gunk here, it reduce the flow.

Yeah, it tonight, happy new year for all your fishs guys !

My new year resolution is to get 24 in september !

Back
Top Bottom