Fluval 405

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
I have my 405 for about three years now.. I recently cleaned the canister the proper way..(with tank water)... But it seems as if my output nozzle pressure seems to be weak... Aka my gph seems to be a lower??? What should I do????

You should do regular maintenance on your filter to keep it running. That being said, is your intake clear? I have the 406 and the intake has a ball that can get stuck shut when clogged with debris.

I clean mine every couple months. If you have the stock ribbed hosing it will catch more debris than normal vinyl hose. Usually it is only your intake side that needs done. Hope it helps.

Just so we're on the same page, not clear as in color. Clear being no buildup that would restrict the flow. If you haven't done proper maintenance in years I guarantee your return side has debris in it.

Just disconnect the lines and run water through it the other way and see if it helps clear out the line or if you get good flow. Best of luck.

I haven't lubed the gasket on mine and I've had it running for about two years. However, the manual says every time you perform maintenance. Some non-petroleum based lubricant would work fine (veggie oil, silicone lubricant, etc). I usually just wet mine before reassembly.

Edit: I don't think this has any impact on your low flow issues. Typically a sign of a bad gasket is leaks.

Back
Top Bottom