Fluval Edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone running one of these? My wife convinced my to order a 12gal one the other day to move Tyrone, her betta. Right now he's in a Marineland 4.5 gallon tank. I don't like the whole setup on the current tank, from the bio-wheel filter that the pump stalls out on all the time, to all the wiring running into one harness that I can't run a timer for the lights on.
My biggest question is this, the filter media it comes with looks like its in a mesh bag. Does it have to be done this way? I would like to use one media from my Fluval 306 to accelerate the cycle, but in the 306 it's free in a tray. Any opinions or advice is appreciated.

I'm planning on getting one of these myself so any views welcome :)

The tank came in today. It doesn't look like I can take media from my other filters. THe bio-rings are about 1/2 the size of my other ones, and the new ones do come in a mesh bag. I might be able to fit the bag in my other filter to jump start some BB on the new media, and then move it over to the new tank. we will see. Once I start setting it up, I will post more.

I might start a thread on the build. I'm thinking about going with some easy to care for plants. It would be my first attempt with plants.

Get "water wisteria" great first plant and can rooot it or float it! It looks good to! Like a mini underwater mangrove tree;)

We have two of these, the 6 gallon size, both from Betta's. I don't use the carbon bags but use a woman's knee hi nylon and make a little bag of Purgen which keep the tanks sparkling and last a long time. Also use the sponge cover on the filter intake tube which helps keep the inner filter cleaner. Be sure to use a cleaning magnet made for acrylic, I actually have their magnets. The lights are low for plant growth IMO, my daughter has a 12g coming which has more light but since it's a deeper tank so I imagine the light will also be for low light plants. I used Eco-complete as a substrate, then used light colored rocks to brighten things up. Used Java fern Wendilov, Bolbitus, Dwarf sag, Crypt Parva, and Petite Anubia. Am trying Ambulia but too soon to tell if light is strong enough. Over all I like the tanks, they are clean, sleek, and nicely self contained.

We have two of these, the 6 gallon size, both from Betta's. I don't use the carbon bags but use a woman's knee hi nylon and make a little bag of Purgen which keep the tanks sparkling and last a long time. Also use the sponge cover on the filter intake tube which helps keep the inner filter cleaner. Be sure to use a cleaning magnet made for acrylic, I actually have their magnets. The lights are low for plant growth IMO, my daughter has a 12g coming which has more light but since it's a deeper tank so I imagine the light will also be for low light plants. I used Eco-complete as a substrate, then used light colored rocks to brighten things up. Used Java fern Wendilov, Bolbitus, Dwarf sag, Crypt Parva, and Petite Anubia. Am trying Ambulia but too soon to tell if light is strong enough. Over all I like the tanks, they are clean, sleek, and nicely self contained.

That's great, yeah ill be getting the 12 and I did think that could be a possible issue the fact it's quite deep.
How do your betas get along consider the only air is in the access hole at the top? Any pictures of both set ups?

That's great, yeah ill be getting the 12 and I did think that could be a possible issue the fact it's quite deep.
How do your betas get along consider the only air is in the access hole at the top? Any pictures of both set ups?

Neither Betta is having an issue although you might have to turn the filter flow down alittle (it's adjustable) as it's pretty strong and tends to blow them when they swim in front of it. No pic's yet, am still working on plantings and letting them fill in. Soon hopefully.

I received the tank, and I must say I'm really impressed. I haven't set it up yet. Been on the road every week since it came in. I have been able to pick up the substrate and drift wood, that I have soaking right now to water log it and release tannins. Hopefully next week I can start setting it up. Will keep posted.

If I remember correctly, the Fluval Edge comes with Aquaclear filters. That's not bad for a package-type aquarium kit. Let's see some pictures when you get a chance.

David

I have mine which I bought whilst visiting family. Trying to set it up tonight...turns out my lights aren't working and now I can't find
My receipt. Should be interesting when I phone tomorrow...just my luck

I have mine which I bought whilst visiting family. Trying to set it up tonight...turns out my lights aren't working and now I can't find
My receipt. Should be interesting when I phone tomorrow...just my luck

Hope it goes fine and you get new lights. If you have trouble call the Fluval customer service. I think they are nifty little tanks. I like the 12g one my daughter got. What I did in the two 6g ones is I used Eco-complete black substrate, used a couple alittle bit bigger than fist sized whitish rocks and a tiny piece of DW in one also. I tied some fissidens fontanus moss on to eventually cover the DW cause when using dark substrate also using DW can make the DW just blend in and look blah. You can use java moss if you want to add alittle piece of DW. Then I used Java Fern Wendilov and Bolbitus in one and will add crypt parva in the spring when I can get some and in the other 6g I used dwarf sag, a couple pieces of ambulia, and bolbitus and no DW in this tank. Think I'll add crypt parva to this one too when I can get some.

Hope it goes fine and you get new lights. If you have trouble call the Fluval customer service. I think they are nifty little tanks. I like the 12g one my daughter got. What I did in the two 6g ones is I used Eco-complete black substrate, used a couple alittle bit bigger than fist sized whitish rocks and a tiny piece of DW in one also. I tied some fissidens fontanus moss on to eventually cover the DW cause when using dark substrate also using DW can make the DW just blend in and look blah. You can use java moss if you want to add alittle piece of DW. Then I used Java Fern Wendilov and Bolbitus in one and will add crypt parva in the spring when I can get some and in the other 6g I used dwarf sag, a couple pieces of ambulia, and bolbitus and no DW in this tank. Think I'll add crypt parva to this one too when I can get some.

After much scratching of the head I figured it out...the light works but you have to really press the button a certain way for it to click
Anyone else have this problem with the fluval lighting? You think dwarf baby tears would grow with the stock LEDs and co2?

After much scratching of the head I figured it out...the light works but you have to really press the button a certain way for it to click
Anyone else have this problem with the fluval lighting? You think dwarf baby tears would grow with the stock LEDs and co2?

Yeah the light switch is awkward to use. HC wouldn't grow in this light. That is why I'm getting some Crypt Parva. It only gets about 2" tall and if you plant several plants close to each other (maybe 1/2" or alittle more) they will eventually spread and grow together into a mat. Here's a picture of that in my 220g, the parva is the front bottom left grassish looking plant... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 12-1-2012 - Picture

Well, it's up and running. Lets start the cycle. Would post pics, but its so cloudy right now, you can't see anything. Plus my DW is floating. I've had it soaking for the last couple of weeks, and even though it wasn't completely water logged, I couldn't wait any longer. Hopefully, by the time I'm cycled, I will sink. It was murder waiting the two weeks I had to to just get to set it up. If the wife had had her way, I still would be waiting. It's her fault though, she bought me my first tank ;).

Be sure to post pic's. I'd like to see how you do yours. I only had a touch of clouding in one of them for about 2 hours but also I didn't use the carbon insert, I made little Purgen bags out of knee-hi nylons and used them instead.

No pics yet, but we added 2 marble hatchets, 4 harlequin respborahs, and 6 cardinal tetras today. Pics will be coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom