Flying fox??? with otos and pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondering what people's general opinion is on the topic.

I can not seem to find adult true Siamese Algae Eaters. My local fish store, which is very nice, gets juvenile. They cost $5 ea. My angelfish have eaten 4 of them to date. Two sets of two. I am VERY annoyed by this. They are just too small as juveniles to last in my tank longer than a week even with all the plants.

I can, however, find Thai Flying Foxes. I have read good and bad things about them. Some have suggested that they would be aggressive with the other algae eaters in the tank, which is my primary concern. I currently have 3 otos and 1 rubber lipped pleco.

Have others successfully kept a flying fox with otos and plecos? What is your opinion on flying foxes and algae control? Any experience with flying foxes and other fish that was problematic?

true SAE only eat algae as juvy but they much rather eat fish food. as adults they hardly will eat any algae.

true SAE only eat algae as juvy but they much rather eat fish food. as adults they hardly will eat any algae.

I was more wondering about keeping flying fox. I have given up on true siamese as I can only get juveniles anyway. They have just become a very expensive snack for my angelfish.

never kept then since so many people say how aggressive they are. for algae its best to balance the tank so there is no more algae or manually remove it. there is nothing really that will take care of all the algae in the tank. the way i read it you want it more for algae control then to keep the fish.

never kept then since so many people say how aggressive they are. for algae its best to balance the tank so there is no more algae or manually remove it. there is nothing really that will take care of all the algae in the tank. the way i read it you want it more for algae control then to keep the fish.

Well I basically am keeping a heavily planted tank featuring angelfish. With the exception of the angelfish, everything else in the tank is on the "algae crew". This is what I wanted when I planned the tank, at least until I can upgrade to a much larger tank. I like my current crew...3 otos 1 rubber lipped pleco, 1 female fiddler crab, 4 mystery snails. I also like the look of flying foxes and SAEs...but not sure if I want to add a flying fox.

The otos and pleco don't eat hair algae. The SAEs and flying fox are said to amongst other algae. I currently have a nice balance and am not having an algae problem per se. I did have hair algae about a month ago and would like a hair algae eater in the tank in case the problem should return. I thought I was addressing this with SAEs, but as I said...they keep being eaten.

Currently the only algae that is problematic, if it can be said, is the fuzz algae that appears on the fine leafed plants in the tank. Neither the pleco nor the otos seem interested in cleaning the cabomba, ambulia, or limnophila. They are all over everything else. Shrimp would be great for these plants, but the angels eat those too.

So no shrimp, no SAEs...hair/fuzz algae eater wanted. I may resort to ordering some olive nerites. I used to have them in an old tank. Never had any algae problems with nerites.

No one seems to have anything good to say about flying foxes o_O.

nerites go after mostly green spot algae in the tank. amano shrimp which are 2 inch or so will eat hair algae better then any other fish out there from what i have seen.

Back
Top Bottom