Fosterandsmith.com Co2 System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was pricing out CO2 systems a while ago and decide to go with the MA957 off eBay instead of that one. I think it ended up being cheaper in the long run. Also the Milwaukee seems to be a bit higher quality from what I've read. I think it is an Azoo regulator on that one.

I got mine off eBay for like $80, came with tubing, needle valve, solenoid, regulator. Only extras I needed was a diffuser (power head, glass, etc) and the tank ($65 I think, filled). I've heard some people getting charged over $100 for a filled 5lb tank which is crazy!

I'm not sure what kind of regulator they use in the F&S kit but it seems like an o.k. deal. The MA957 kits are a lot cheaper though, so that's something to consider, even if you don't it from ebay, there are sites that carry the kit, aquacave is one that pops into my head.

They don't have a timer on them, but that timer in the F&S kit is a cheap one, you should be able to get it at the hardware store for less than $10 .

The other thing to consider is needle valves. With either one you might have issues getting a steady flow rate and require an aftermarket needle valve, everyone recommends the fabco nv-55 which is an in-line type so simple to set up. It's just an idea though, I believe mfdrookie has the ma957 kit and never had any problems with it.

Another thing to consider is the return policy, if you do end up hating the regulator you get, you might have an easier time returning/exchanging with F&S than you would a smaller company.

I'm not sure what kind of regulator they use in the F&S kit but it seems like an o.k. deal. The MA957 kits are a lot cheaper though, so that's something to consider, even if you don't it from ebay, there are sites that carry the kit, aquacave is one that pops into my head.

They don't have a timer on them, but that timer in the F&S kit is a cheap one, you should be able to get it at the hardware store for less than $10 .

The other thing to consider is needle valves. With either one you might have issues getting a steady flow rate and require an aftermarket needle valve, everyone recommends the fabco nv-55 which is an in-line type so simple to set up. It's just an idea though, I believe mfdrookie has the ma957 kit and never had any problems with it.

Another thing to consider is the return policy, if you do end up hating the regulator you get, you might have an easier time returning/exchanging with F&S than you would a smaller company.

So are you saying it would be best to get the fabco nv-55 Needle valve to replace the one on the ma957? Also what exactly is the needle valve?

The needle valve is the valve used for precision flow. The MA-957 has a needle valve on it, but some have reported inconsistent flow and used a fabco instead. You could run into the same thing with the F&S regulator also, but honestly it's something I would just hold off on until you start having an issue, because it might be just fine. Since the fabco is an in-line style needle valve, it doesn't take any major work to install it after everything is set up.

The needle valve is what you use to adjust your bps. Bad needle valves wont hold a constant rate.

Buy your Milwaukee and see if the needle valve works for you. Some do, some dont. Won't know until you try yours.

My needle valve with the MA957 has been working great for well over a year. FWIW.

Alright, well as of now im going with the MA957, However what are the other parts i need? do i just need tubing, Tank, and a diffuser?

Mine came with tubing, bubble counter, needle valve and regulator. The only things I needed to buy were a drop checker, diffuser and 5lb tank. I also bought a timer so it goes off half an hour before the lights do. Same with when the lights come on, the CO2 comes on before the lights.

Back
Top Bottom