Freaky clown loach laying on it's side thing....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishbone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Why do clown loaches do this? Does anyone know? I watched my clown loach specifically flip himself over and lay on his side several times today. Is there some reason someone has figured out for this behavior?

Maybe they're playing dead as a "defense" mechanism? Perhaps whatever preys on clown loaches is only interested in live food?

hmm, that's entirely possible, but I would think tank raised loaches wouldn't have much fear. Instinct is a hard thing to ignore though. It was funny watching him today. He would push himself over and just lay there. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen fish do for sure.

most clown loaches are wild caught i think, as they do not readily breed in tanks

oh I did not know that. As always AA is a wealth of information. So is the general consensus that they do it as a defense mechanism?

from what i have gathered information wise, it seems to be a common trait in a lot of loach species. I don't think it is so much a defense mechanism as a predatory one or one of relaxation. When i had botia modesta (orange finned blue loaches) they did this all the time when in rest and in predatory mode.

That is what i have experienced anyways

My loaches love to lie about on their sides. First couple times it was a bit worrisome, but you get used to it. When I redecorated, using all driftwood, they stopped just laying about anywhere. Now they find little crevasses in the wood to wedge themselves into, or they just lay on their side under the wood. It is pretty common for me to see just the tail of a loach sticking out from under some driftwood.

Just one more of their loachy behaviors, it's what makes em' so interesting to have. ;-)

Tony Starks said:
Blucat said:
most clown loaches are wild caught i think, as they do not readily breed in tanks

Thats right.
thats illeagal here- there are massive fees to do it otherwise, there all bread here and there fair cheap- bout £8 (4$) each

Back
Top Bottom