Freshwater Eels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AaronW said:
So I'm gonna be using sand as my substrate. I was thinking pool filter sand because I like the color. Would that be ok?

Yeah it should be fine. Make sure you have a cave for it to hide in.

you all seem very knowledgable about eels so let me ask you this...

is there a fresh water eel that will live in a 55G for life??

i'm in the process of cleaning a 125 i bought from a co-worker but between work and things to do around the house the clean up may take a lil while.. but i'm planning on moving some fish from my 55, adding some additional fish from LFS, you know how it goes...

i'll be keeping some of the fish in the 55 but i would like to add an eel to my collection.

any help you can provide would be extremely helpful.

as a side note i'm not yet sure on the substrate for the 125 but i'm really leaning towards gravel. 55 has sand and my filter flow(aquaclear 110 & 70) pushes it around way too much lol. every day during feeding i have to shift sand around to cover up the spots where the bottom glass is showing.(needless to say i'm probably gonna go with gravel in the 125)

Peacocks and ZigZags are the more common one's that stay relatively small.

Honestly they are both very similar. They will hide 95% of the time, you'll just see a head sticking out. The main difference is their pattern.

Zigzag eel..

p_89852_zigzag_eel.jpg

Peacock eel..

AAAADOTC4hIAAAAAAQkpJw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom