freshwater eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a freshwater florida eel. He's small at the moment. He's about the size of an earthworm. He suposedly can reach several feet but I was told that he will grow slowly.

Actually I'm interested in getting an eel as well. What eels are available for freshwater? I'll probable end up getting a reedfish instead but I was wondering what else is available.

reed fish

yes , a reedfish and rope fish are the same. They are also pretty nice. Be carefull though as they are escape artists

I have a yellow-tailed spiny eel. Hes kinda somewhat small at the moment. Hes about 5".

For freshwater, get a Mastacembelid (Spiny Eels) or, if you can, a Synbranchid (Swamp Eels, they are illegal in many states, but can breath air, are very hardy, and eat very well). Avoid Muraenids (Morays), as there are only a few species that can survive in fresh water, and these are only for extremely advanced aquarists and really belong in brackish water anyway. Even in brackish water they are expert fishes. I currently have a Gymnothorax tile and an Echidna rhodochilus. The Florida Eel is commonly called the American Eel, Anguilla rostra, and can reach five feet in length. There are other eels I have seen called the Florida Eel, such as the Asian Swamp Eel, a Synbrachid introduced to Florida that may become an ecological problem for that state.

With luck, my Aquarium Morays website will be up and running soon, and there will be a large section on other aquarium eels.

Bsure to let us know when your website is up. I've had no luck with the 2 eels that I have tried and will be looking for more information very soon.

Back
Top Bottom