Freshwater "Finding Nemo" Aquarium project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NathanJC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

This project is meant to be a fun project and not to be taken too seriously. This is an aquarium setup I am designing for my wife and kids. After several aquarium setups before, which all looked natural and mimicking the habitats of the fish that live in them, I have not once placed a fake plant or tacky ornament in any fish tank I have owned. My wife often complains that my tanks do not look fun and she dislikes the way the look all natural with rockwork and plants and stuff with no "No Fishing" signs or resin cast shipwrecks.

For my new tank setup, I am replicating the fish tank from the dentist's (Dr. Philip Sherman of 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney) office in the Disney/Pixar film 'Finding Nemo'. Now before you start telling me it can't be done, and the fish are all incompatible, I am NOT attempting to replicate the fish - this is going to be a freshwater tank. I'm not trying to copy the fish in the dentist's tank, just the decor.

A lot of this project will be DIY as many components (I.e. the volcano "Mt. Wannahawkaloogie") aren't available to buy in aquarium stores.

Components (as planned, may change in future)

- Fish Tank, 4ft
- Undergravel filter, External canister filter (both custom made)
- Gravel (Light blue)
- 2x Air Pump with airhose network (to control all ‘bubbling’ ornaments)
- Volcano, Mt. Wannahawkaloogie (custom made)
- Pirate Shipwreck
- Treasure Chest
- Pirate Skull
- Clamshell
- Barrels
- Assorted Plants (approx. 50 in total)

I will be keeping a log of this project as the pieces start coming together.

Hope you all will enjoy :)

Welcome to Aquarium Advice,

It does sound like a fun project. I've been doing this along time and even I have a pirate ship in one of tanks, it's a bit nostalgic for me and you have to have fun with your hobby.

Looking forward to pictures!

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun tank for the kids! Actually petsmart I know has a pretty neat volcano that comes in 3 sizes and has a bubble stone set up in it, all it would take is a cheap red LED underneath it and BOOM wannahokalugie haha, I'll see if I can find a link for that led and volcano

Edit: I found the links faster than I thought.
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/LED-Aquarium-Decorations/I/Aqua-Color-Aquarium-Lights.aspx
I really like petsolutions.com, they've done good things for me and now I get their catalogue

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11202623&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
In the picture it looks like the top of the volcano is covered but I've seen it in the store and its completely open allowing plenty of space for a second bubble stone and a good LED pendant like the first link

Good luck!

I'm going to follow this. It'll be fun! When I upgrade my shrimp tank I am going to do a mix of live plants and fake fun stuff! I'll love to see how this goes!

Welcome to AA!! :D

Sounds like a fun tank for the kids! Actually petsmart I know has a pretty neat volcano that comes in 3 sizes and has a bubble stone set up in it, all it would take is a cheap red LED underneath it and BOOM wannahokalugie haha, I'll see if I can find a link for that led and volcano

Edit: I found the links faster than I thought.
Aqua Color Aquarium Lights, LED Aquarium Decorations | PetSolutions
I really like petsolutions.com, they've done good things for me and now I get their catalogue

Fish Tank Bubbler » Top Fin® Volcano Bubbler Aquarium Decoration | PetSmart
In the picture it looks like the top of the volcano is covered but I've seen it in the store and its completely open allowing plenty of space for a second bubble stone and a good LED pendant like the first link

Good luck!

Looks good, but I am looking to do something more like this: Volcano Reservoir - techPowerUp! Forums

Subbed to this! And yes petsmart has a cool volcano that can be little or huge depending on your tank size. Yeah you should get an angelfish with stripes on it like the silver zebra angelfish I think they are called. Altums wouldn't be ideal I think. Also they make a cool little treasure chest at petsmart just like the one in the movie- it opens and closes about every 20 or seconds and bubbles come out :)

UPDATE: It's taking a little longer than I thought to get this project underway. I've ordered a few ornaments and fake plants (mostly from overseas) so nothing has arrived yet, probably due to the fact that most people are on holidays this time of year.

Anyway, I did pick up this gem at a local plant nursery which I saw immediately and had to have it:

http://db.tt/qajMHpGz

It's a resin cast flowerpot I picked up for $15. Immediately it made a connection to me between the Tiki statues from the Finding Nemo aquarium and the Mt Wannahawkaloogie volcano. I thought to myself "how awesome would this look with red LED lights and airstone bubbles bursting out of the top of it's head!" It's going to be a Mt Wannahawkaloogie Volcano/Tiki statue hybrid! I've ordered some LED light strips, some 1cm thick PVC airtube and a circular airstone... hope it all fits together (fingers crossed).

Subscribed! I'm obsessed with all things Disney and love Finding Nemo it's going to be awesome cant wait to see it all come together. Like the others said I reckon defiantly get a wild type angel lot be Gil. It would be awesome if you did try and get similar looking compatible fish to the characters. Shark bait hoo ha ha! Lol

Back
Top Bottom