Freshwater fish compatible with Serpae Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 60 gallon planted tank with ten Serpae Tetras in it. They've been in there for a few weeks now by themselves and sometimes they school nicely and other times they chase and nip each other. My tank has been cycled and all its levels are good. After I bought the Tetras I heard they can be nippy. I should have researched them more but I assumed since they were Tetras that they were good community fish but I'm having a hard time finding compatible fish. I would like some bigger centerpiece fish they stay near the middle to top since the Tetras stay towards the bottom. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm fairly new to this.

I'd call serpaes "semi-aggressive," since they largely limit their aggression to among themselves if in a large enough group. Your school of ten should keep them plenty busy with each other.

That said, I'd be hesitant to put temptation in their way by introducing fish with long, flowing fins, either. :eek:

As for tankmates, Bolivian rams might be a good choice.Or hwo about a second school of a tetra their size or larger, such as Colombians: Colombian Tetra (Hyphessobrycon columbianus) Profile

:fish1:

Serpaes are not THAT aggressive, only nip at long finned fish like Guppies...

Corydoras catfish, Zebra Danios, other tetras all work with the serpaes.

Bolivians are a great idea, electric blue acaras would also work nicely together! Another idea is 1-2 Gouramis, they would also make a cool centerpiece fish.

Would Gouramis be ok with the Serpae Tetras because of their fins and they're slow? I'll definately look into the Bolivian Rams and the electric blue acaras. Thank you for your replies!

Would Gouramis be ok with the Serpae Tetras because of their fins and they're slow? I'll definately look into the Bolivian Rams and the electric blue acaras. Thank you for your replies!

Serpaes are small and don't pick on bigger fish(they know where they belong!) and I think they'd be fine with most Gouramis.

I had serpaes in my 55 gal and they bullied the silver dollars so badly, I ended up rehoming them. They will pick on larger fish, and they constantly nip every one, long fin short fin, doesn't matter. They are really quite aggressive. Several people I've talked to have had similar experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had serpaes in my 55 gal and they bullied the silver dollars so badly, I ended up rehoming them. They will pick on larger fish, and they constantly nip every one, long fin short fin, doesn't matter. They are really quite aggressive. Several people I've talked to have had similar experiences.

How many did you have? It depends I guess.

I keep a large tank with a variety of tetras, including Serpae. They have never been a problem but it is interesting to see the change in dynamics and fish behaviour when a new species is introduced or when an existing species has their numbers increased.
You can take reasonable precautions, such as avoiding long flowing fins, but in the end it's down to the fish how they will behave.
In my tank the only problem was silver tips and they were well mad. They didn't stay in there for long, too disruptive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I keep pearl gouramis in my55 gallon tank. They are a shy fish and are disturbed by any fast moving or aggressive fish.

That is fast moving fish that are approaching their size.

I had a dozen serpaes. I really liked them, but they were too aggressive for my tank. In general, they are some of the more aggressive tetras.

Serpaes IME do well with Danios, Black Neons, Skirt Tetras,

Short finned or quick fish or similar temperament.

Big group is best to keep nipping to a minimum and sometimes I feed my little fish small meals 2x daily and that sometimes helps as well.

Cories and/or BN Pleco should be fine.

I had 10 serpae tetra before. They were my little piranhas. They killed anything I added to the 55 that I once had.

I have a 55 gal tank, and I have 5 Serpae tetras. I have not had any issues with them. In my tank along with the serpae tetras I have 2blue gourami's, 2 sunset gourami's, 6 tiger barbs, 5 angel fish, 3 different types of cory catfish, pictus catfish, some small algea eaters, and red tail shark, bala shark, and a pleco. And my serpae tetras don't bother a soul, they keep to themselves most of the time, and if they chase anything at all it is one another.

I have a 55 gal tank, and I have 5 Serpae tetras. I have not had any issues with them. In my tank along with the serpae tetras I have 2blue gourami's, 2 sunset gourami's, 6 tiger barbs, 5 angel fish, 3 different types of cory catfish, pictus catfish, some small algea eaters, and red tail shark, bala shark, and a pleco. And my serpae tetras don't bother a soul, they keep to themselves most of the time, and if they chase anything at all it is one another.

How long have you had the Serpaes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got some zebra danios with them and they stayed towards the top at first now both thee danios and the tetras are all over the tank and not schooling. It's driving me crazy lol. When I went to the pet store (theres no lfs near me other than that) the lady lectured me on how the electric blue acaras would eat the tetras. I know you can't always listen to the pet store workers but she made me nervous about that. I'm still looking for some larger centerpiece fish for this tank though.

I got some zebra danios with them and they stayed towards the top at first now both thee danios and the tetras are all over the tank and not schooling. It's driving me crazy lol. When I went to the pet store (theres no lfs near me other than that) the lady lectured me on how the electric blue acaras would eat the tetras. I know you can't always listen to the pet store workers but she made me nervous about that. I'm still looking for some larger centerpiece fish for this tank though.

The acaras will not eat the Danios or serpaes!!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 5 in my tank, along with some hy511's, a school of neons, a zero of Bolivians, also a single German blue, 6 cories, a small school of black skirts, along with an oto, and some shrimp and they all do just fine for me, only chase each other and don't bother anyone else.

I haven't had problems with my acaras eating zebra danios. Just make sure the danios are full size or close when you get the acaras.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I keep them with a school of tiger barbs and they ignore each other plus tiger barbs are awesome.

Maybe 2-3 pictus catfish those are active and very fun to watch

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom