freshwater flounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urville

Aquarium Advice Freak
my camera is on the fritz. but i love this litte guy. not sure which species he is exactly, the lfs can be disappointing at times, but this the closest of the photos the site had. info too:
PHOTO AT BOTTOM OF POST (can i change this)
it says they are brackish and marine but extremely freshwater compatible, swimming hundreds of miles inland (frshwater) depending on sub family.
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/FamilySummary.cfm?ID=516
Question: one site said 1 tablespoon salt per blah blah gallons. for the hogchoker, NOT the sub family i have i'm certain BUT i use aquarium salt from jungle for freshwater and always have, no one has suffered from it. i owned a fan-dancer or knight goby forever. sooooo. will he survive given his freshwater tendancies?

INFO BELOW

Trinectes paulistanus (Miranda-Ribeiro, 1915)
Family: Achiridae (American soles) picture (Trpau_u1.jpg) by Sazima, I.

Map
Order: Pleuronectiformes (flatfishes)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
FishBase name: Slipper sole
Max. size: 18.0 cm NG (male/unsexed; Ref. 36453)
Environment: demersal; brackish; marine ; depth range - 16 m
Climate: tropical
Importance:
Resilience: High, minimum population doubling time less than 15 months (Preliminary K and tmax)
Distribution:
Gazetteer Western Atlantic: Suriname to Santa Catarina, Brazil.
Morphology: Dorsal spines (total): 0; Dorsal soft rays (total): 55-60; Anal spines: 0; Anal soft rays: 40-44. Pectorals either vestigial or reduced to 1-2 rudimentary rays (Ref. 36453).
Biology: Found more abundantly on shallow soft bottoms of brackish estuaries or hypersaline lagoons. Enters freshwaters at least to an elevation of 10 m. Inhabits rivers and creeks and probably feeds on aquatic insects and crustaceans (Ref. 36880).
Red List Status: Not in IUCN Red List , (Ref. 36508)
Dangerous: harmless
Coordinator: Ramos, Robson T.C.
Main Ref: Cervigón, F., R. Cipriani, W. Fischer, L. Garibaldi, M. Hendrickx, A.J. Lemus, R. Márquez, J.M. Poutiers, G. Robaina and B. Rodriguez. 1992. (Ref. 5217)

With a little Aunt Jemima mix and a shallow pan, with new potatoes and the vegetable of your choice he'd be might tasty.
Aternatively, you might just tray lemmon juice.
All kidding aside, what a great looking fish. I am reminded of Mr. Johannsen in Finding Nemo.
What are you feeding this guy. And what sort of subtrate are you using. It looks a bit coarse in the picture.

right now i have pretty large gravel thats black. the picture was just from fishbase.
you know he only is on the gravel when i turn the lights on in the morning after awhle he moves to the back wall right in the powerhead flows. and he'll move around all day to different positions in the flow. see i have my powerheads pointed toward the back wall just a little. he seems to love the high current. not sure how he sticks to the wall as none of the things i've read SO far have mentioned a suctioning ability.
feeding is actually the thing i'm worried about. the lfs said he was a bttom feeder in that he wll mostly eat off the ground, like sinking wafers for example. but that he isnt a filter feeder, he wont eat detritus or anything. i've never seen him eat so, i'm not sure if he is. he's one of those fish that if your not paying attention you never SEE him move even though he does move. this has worried me as i feed only what they eat, and my fish EAT so rarely does nything hit bottom except algae wafers.

anyway i want to move to sand but it's gonna be a fun day when i do it so i've been putting it off :oops:
i hate ugf's, and i truly think sand is less work in a way. a good way. hehehe

I hate to break this to you, but your flounder needs a BW tank with tankmates that do not eat everything! It may have been caught in FW, but it requires brackish water for a longer, healthier life. You will need a salinity reader and marine grade salt. They are also ambush predators who eat live foods, but I have yet to find something small and alive for mine. Mine do eat frozen foods. I was in the same boat as you are now three months ago; however, my husband has taught ichthyology and I was well informed on what needed to be done for my flounders.
Here is the thread I had about them and there is some great info and discussion. Also, poikilotherm worte a profile on them in the Fish and Plant Profile Forum. Pics of my flounders can be found in my gallery.

hmmm... i have no tester but keep a certain amount of salt in my tank. i use the same kind of salt used to hatch brine shrimp. hmmmm.... hopefully he will survive like my knight goby did. he ultimately got to big and i had to trade him off it was horrible

There is no way of knowing which flounder you have. I was told at the LFS mine would only reach 6", them I did some research and discovered that they might reach the size of a dinner plate!
Aquarium salt is not the same as marine salt and you really need to find a way to fed your little guy.

I had one for a few years.. he was alot of fun. Then I had to move so I gave him to my best friends. He lives in a school now. Its really cool when they are on the side of the tank. I didn't have mine in brackish water but it did have some salt in it. He didn't get more than 6" either. Maybe if I had him in more salty water he would have gotten bigger?? Anyways as far as lifespan, he's still alive but in another state.

i know for sure guppies can be FW, BW, and SW

im pretty sure that only mollies are freshwater and brackish but guppies? and ive never heard they could be full saltwater

every lfs here contends against the BW theory and that they can go both ways without ill effects but that water quality becomes more important as this happens. i'm not trying to be ignorant! i just feel this my not be wholly true.

Menagerie has also kept the flounders and im pretty sure their brackish. lfs probally say freshwater because they can survive for a limited amount of time in freshwater so you'll buy them.

anyway you should never trust a lfs until you can be sure their correct though a couple tests. do some research online. and see if the lfs is reliable. tsk tsk lol

brackish can live in freshwater but for a limited amount of time. they will have a shorter life.

guppies are extremely tolerant to saltwater IME

i just disagree i wasnt discrediting her. i just feel that theres evidence to the contrary, i myself have kept them FW for whole lfespans, i know others who have, here locally and at here on this board. the debate is practically 50/50 with people and everyone has "evidence" to support their side. so...

Back
Top Bottom