Freshwater Flounder - submitted by poikilotherm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
[center:41d26eae23]"Freshwater Flounder"[/center:41d26eae23]

Written by: poikilotherm

Scientific Names: Trinectes maculatus, Achirus lineatus, Achirus achirus
Synonyms: dwarf freshwater flounder
Region: American Atlantic coast from Massachusetts to Venezuela, rivers, estuaries, and marine
Maximum Size: generally 6", but as much as 10"
Salinity, pH Range and Hardness: Not well known
Temperature Range: 65-75 degrees F.

The freshwater flounder is an interesting fish that many of us have noticed in fish stores, and most commonly find their way into aquarists tanks as impulse buys.

These fish are not what they appear to be. They are neither freshwater nor flounder. There are several species that are commonly sold as freshwater flounder or dwarf freshwater flounder. The most common species is Trinectes maculatus (aka hogchoker, formerly known as Achirus fasciatus). Achirus lineatus (Lined sole) and Achirus achirus (Drab sole) are also widely sold to aquarists. I am including some pictures of each, but note that due to the variability in color these photos should not be used for identification purposes. The species are generally only distinguishable through ray and scale counts.

All of these species are technically American Soles, related to marine soles and tonguefish, and both are usually "right-eyed" in that the upper face of the fish was the embryonic right side. The name achirus comes from the lack of pectoral fins, and although some of these species do have rudimentary pectorals, they are often difficult to discern.

Differences between the Achirus species and Trinectes are minimal, but not a whole lot is known about the life history of either one. There may be differences in tolerance for different levels of salinity and temperature (which may be partly responsible for different levels of success in keeping them), but these are not known. They usually reach a maximum size of 4-6" (sometimes as large as 10"), and are estuarine to marine with sightings of juveniles in freshwater. The ranges of these fish stretch from Massachusetts down to Venezuela.

Since hogchokers are generally the most common species we see as aquarists, I will focus on them. They got their name because of the difficulty that pigs had swallowing these fish when fed them by farmers. Hogchokers generally develop to around 4cm (1.6") by 1 year of age, and 7cm (2.8") by 2 years, so the fish you see in your LFS are generally less than a year or two old. All of these soles spawn in summer, and are probably wild-caught. Often, the people in fish stores are not equipped to discuss these fish properly, and may mention that they prefer brackish water.

These fish have complex patterns of movement up and down salinity gradients, with attempts to detect patterns mostly failing except for alternate-tide movement patterns. They may need changes in salinity in ways which aquarists would be hard-pressed to satisfy. As adults, they are almost entirely marine and high-salinity estuarine fishes. They all feed primarily on small invertebrates, so may take bloodworms, although smaller (frozen or live) food would probably be preferable.

Another consideration which appears to be mostly neglected in discussions is the fact that they are not tropical at all. They are found in waters moderated by ocean temperatures, and the widest range estimate of their temperature range tops out at 24 degrees C (75 degrees F).

Based on this information, and on the consistent bad luck that experienced aquarists have in keeping these fish alive for more than a few months, I would not recommend purchasing these fish. If you are aware of the considerations involved, and still want to get them, I suggest that a brackish tank with a temperature around 70 degrees and sand (or finer) substrate is probably your best bet with these fish.

2soles.jpg

Photo credits:

Trinectes maculatus by Tom McHugh Photo Researchers, Inc.
http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpeciesFT.asp?fotogID=995&curPageNum=17&recnum=FI0190

Achirus lineatus by Sazima, I. http://www.fishbase.org/Collaborators/CollaboratorSummary.cfm?ID=763

Achirus achirus by Krumme, U. http://www.fishbase.org/Collaborators/CollaboratorSummary.cfm?ID=488

References:

Froese, R. and D. Pauly. Editors. 2004. FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication. www.fishbase.org, version (04/2004).

Hoese, H. Dickson and Moore, Richard H. Fishes of the Gulf of Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, and adjacent waters. Texas A&M University Press, c1977.

Jordan, David Starr, Evermann, Barton Warren. The fishes of North and Middle America. Smithsonian Institution, 1963.

Hervey, George F., Hems, Jack. Freshwater tropical aquarium fishes. Illustrated by Eileen M. Hill. London : Spring Books, 1963.

flounder need some salt i believe, we cath them up rivers, but the salinity is still noticeable. i have never caught them where salt is not noticable in the water.

good topic.. your right sometimes we migh be tempted to get them on an impulse buy.. i almost made the mistake a while ago..

Even though the post is over 7 years old I would like to clear up some stuff first they are great fish to have and after a while of having them they start to recognize you and come right up to the glass to see you and even let you pick them up the only good way to see if there fed properly is to hand feed them with tweezers I feed mine frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and other frozen foods the substance should be soft sand with a lot of room to roam around and water temperature around 75-82 and salinity 1.004-1.007 I have had my flounders for over a year now with no problems they are great fish to have but do your research first before buying them

If I had a brackish water system I would totally get a group. They're being sold at my LFS for 2 dollars.

I have had mine for about 8 months and
He is doing great. I feed him using a turkey baster. I feed him frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I usually pile it on his face. I can see him snap at it and when he is done eating his belly is bulged. The first two weeks I could not get him to eat but he came around.

Back
Top Bottom