Freshwater pipefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know any care info about freshwater pipefish? I really want to order one but I need to know how to care for it.:fish1:

Live aquaria says that they are hard to feed and should be kept in a species only aquarium. You should check out their page

That's a good source. Only problem I have is that some of the tank size is inaccurate. I don't think a tire track eel is suitable for a 50 gallon tank. Are there several different species of freshwater pipefish?

Thank you. I think I might get that one unless I can find a smaller species.

I picked up a freshwater pipefish this past weekend. He is so cool I'm getting another.

Reading soem stuff on them, maybe pipefish would do really good in a planted tank with a thriving population of Cherry shrimp, giving it a supply of little shrimplets to eat.
Supplement with a sustaining crop of brine shrimp you grow in a 10 gallon tank and squirt in with a turkey baster.

hpiguy said:
Pipefish would probably do really good in a planted tank with a thriving population of Cherry shrimp, giving it a supply of little shrimplets to eat.
Supplement with a sustaining crop of brine shrimp you grow in a 10 gallon tank and squirt in with a turkey baster.

A ten gal would turn out millions of shrimp, maybe a 2.5 instead

A ten gal would turn out millions of shrimp, maybe a 2.5 instead

I use a ten because they are dirt cheap. They self sustain with new eggs all the time after the first batch is placed in there.

Back
Top Bottom