Freshwater Predators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako_Pacific

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For my largest tank which is a 55 gallon tank, I already have an idea what I want to do with it. I want it to be a predator tank. The reason for this is that it's my largest one and predator fish usually require much larger tanks than the average pet fish for as much as I understand. What predator fish do well in a 55 gallon tank and how many can go in with eachother? I understand that some predator fish only do good by themselves and I am willing to live with that if that is the case. I don't know much about the fish yet but I am looking into the Asian Arowana. Does anyone have experience with this fish or at least the knowledge alone? I would also like suggestions and maybe a list of predator fish that would be right for me. I heard that Pirahnas' are hard to take care of. Is this true?

For my largest tank which is a 55 gallon tank, I already have an idea what I want to do with it. I want it to be a predator tank. The reason for this is that it's my largest one and predator fish usually require much larger tanks than the average pet fish for as much as I understand. What predator fish do well in a 55 gallon tank and how many can go in with eachother? I understand that some predator fish only do good by themselves and I am willing to live with that if that is the case. I don't know much about the fish yet but I am looking into the Asian Arowana. Does anyone have experience with this fish or at least the knowledge alone? I would also like suggestions and maybe a list of predator fish that would be right for me. I heard that Pirahnas' are hard to take care of. Is this true?

i dont think a arowna will work in a 55 i dought even a 75 would be big enuff for 1 iv seen them 12+ in long a freind of mine just set up a tank and has a grass pickerl in it. now thats a predator they only grow to around 6 in some mite get to 8in but his waits and waits for a feeder fish and when 1 swims by he darts and nails it its neat to watch. i have catfish that r pritty good hunters. not sure exactly would work in a 55gal

A 55g is going to be too small for most fish in the predator classification if you're looking at fish like arowanas.

Here are some vids of a true predator in a 50g breeder (almost twice as wide front to back) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/keep-your-fingers-out-of-the-tank-124372.html

If you're looking for aggressive fish, you could do some african or south/central american cichlids. Alot of them have quite the temper. Also, exodons are pretty cool IMO.

Asian Arowanas are banned in the states. pirahnas are skittish fish that need to be in groups and would require a bigger tank. they might also be banned in ny there are a few states where they are banned.

A 55g is going to be too small for most fish in the predator classification if you're looking at fish like arowanas.

Here are some vids of a true predator in a 50g breeder (almost twice as wide front to back) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/keep-your-fingers-out-of-the-tank-124372.html

If you're looking for aggressive fish, you could do some african or south/central american cichlids. Alot of them have quite the temper. Also, exodons are pretty cool IMO.

Asian Arowanas are banned in the states. pirahnas are skittish fish that need to be in groups and would require a bigger tank. they might also be banned in ny there are a few states where they are banned.

+1

i dont think a arowna will work in a 55 i dought even a 75 would be big enuff for 1 iv seen them 12+ in long a freind of mine just set up a tank and has a grass pickerl in it. now thats a predator they only grow to around 6 in some mite get to 8in but his waits and waits for a feeder fish and when 1 swims by he darts and nails it its neat to watch. i have catfish that r pritty good hunters. not sure exactly would work in a 55gal

I just looked up what a grass pickerel was and I would be satisfied with that. It can do 55 gallons?

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I saw an asian arowana in a show tank at a chinese restaurant in south jersey.

yes its a endangered fish and banned in the usa. well one day someone will turn them into fish and game and they will end up with a big fine and a empty tank.

I have plenty of 2-3" long "predators". Have you ever taken the time to observe apistos, killies, angels, or even tetra in a proper school? All are easily obtained, legal, and fine for a 55. Most fish are opportunistic hunters at the very least. Forget about large fish for that tank, anything that gets larger than 10-12" should be ruled out.

and tetras are related to piranhas.... i have a big school of ember tetras and they were a lot more vicious then my poly lol

South American arowanas are legal, asians are not and they still get far too large for your tank. As for a predator, a fave of mine at 6": Ctenopoma acutirostre.

You can get Asian Arowanas, it is the gold, red, and greens that are illegal (and out of most people's budgets if they weren't).

Cichlids are a good predatory fish for that tank size. If you are loooking for oddballs you could even do smaller species of bichirs (Polypterus spp.). There is the option of growing out fish in that tank an then selling them or taking them back to the LFS for credit. Many fish like that can be pretty valuable when they are bigger. Just remember that if they will outgrow that tank they may do it very quickly, so an arowana for $60+ that you only get to keep for three months may not be worth it.

Would an Oscar be an option I may have for a 55 Gallon? For as much as I know, they are part of the Cichlid family and are carnivores. Would this be a good fish to have?

No, oscars can hit 15-18"+ when in properly sized and cared for tanks, far too large for a 55 (many consider the minimum for an oscar to be a 75-125 gallon tank).

For cichlids you are looking for something that maxes out in the 6-10" range. The smaller they are the more you can have in the tank.

If I go with cichlids, I might as well make the tank a tropical-like theme to match their coloring. I guess I'll just have to handle a predator whenever I get a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom