Freshwater Sump Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm upgrading from a 150 to a 225 gallon tank and am going to be swapping out my two canister filters for a sump. I'm going to be making the sump myself and have a few layouts and ideas floating around but would love to see any pictures of sumps that any of you may have on your freshwater tanks.

I'm picking up a 75 gallon tank tomorrow off Craigslist which will be used as the sump.

I'm really debating on if I want to put filter floss then just a drip tray and set up a wet/dry trickle or if I want to start off with straight mechanical filtration and have the water move through the baffles to a K1 fluidized bed. Any inputs, pictures, or suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Cool project.
Sorry, I don't have any pics. As for the decision for drip/trickle or fluidized, it might depend on which allows for easier handling and maintenance of the mechanical media. I like floss because it's cheap, effective, and easy to use. I suppose you could even try filter socks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

img_3367953_0_218bb1ffe5dcb020997b710429bb5d99.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's the plan so far. First going through mechanical filtration, 13" baffle with a 1" gap at the bottom. Through submerged biomedia since I already have a ton of ceramic rings so it's just the cheapest option. A planted isolation tank, still kind of on the fence. I was considering doing a drip tray there and doing the trickle filtration but it seems redundant. Then a gap for any chemical filtration or anything I may need to use, a bubble trap, and the return line. I'll probably run the return through my inline reactor that's on my FX5 and hook up the CO2 to be injected into the tank.

Design looks good.
Trickle IMO would be overkill and you could lose CO2 in doing so.
Be sure to install a check valve and/or siphon break in your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom