Frozen Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alefaz14

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long will frozen fish food last? I have a pack of Frozen Nutrition bloodworms in the freezer, and I am wondering how long they will last before they go bad if there is such a thing.

If you leave then out on accident they go bad very fast, you'll smell it either way.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't leave them out, they stay in the freezer except when I feed my fish.

No different than leaving any frozen food out for a period of time, it'll go off. If they stay frozen, they can last a while.

Keeping Frozen Fish Food

How long will frozen fish food last? I have a pack of Frozen Nutrition bloodworms in the freezer, and I am wondering how long they will last before they go bad if there is such a thing.

Hello Al...

Frozen fish food is like any other in the freezer. It will become freezer burned and since it's in very small portions, it will likely be unusable in a few weeks. I feed frozen and use it up in a month or so.

B

What about the ones packaged like chicklets(the gum size). I've had mine for a few months in the freezer? Only recently I've had enough fish to serve the whole serving to. And i only give them this once every few days. Is it better to just get the dried type in my case?

Hello Al...

Frozen fish food is like any other in the freezer. It will become freezer burned and since it's in very small portions, it will likely be unusable in a few weeks. I feed frozen and use it up in a month or so.

B

Dang, I have had mine for more than a few weeks.:facepalm:

Dang, I have had mine for more than a few weeks.:facepalm:

It'll be fine. The fish will still eat it like crazy. I haven't personally noticed any difference in how the fish react to it after having it for 3 - 4 months or so. Some nutrition will be lost over time but most is still there.

Mine has been in the freezer for a couple months and it's not freezer burned, it's the cubes that are individually sealed. Freezer burn is prevented, or at least reduced by Loews as little air in contact with the food as possible.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If the food was freezer burned, what effect would that have on the fish if you fed it to them?

I've kept cube packs for a few months because I buy a few of them when they're on sale and they were perfectly fine. I have a big block right now that I just hack pieces off of and I've been working on it for almost 3 months. There's no freezer burn, but I vacuum seal it in a freezer bag. I've never had bloodworms go bad before, although it's not easy to keep them around long anyway since almost all of my fish adore them. Every peaceful little angel suddenly turns into a hellish piranha as soon as the bloodworms hit the water lol. The only time I've ever had a problem was when I went to go buy bloodworms, headed immediately home, hit some traffic, and they ended up totally defrosting and even heating up in Atlanta's 3 million degree summer heat. So don't let them totally defrost :)

Is it better to just get the dried type in my case?

This totally depends on the fish. Some fish are ok to eat freeze dried bloodworms, and some can't handle it. There's a lot of hate for freeze dried foods from people I've talked to. Some say it's low in nutrition, some say the fat content's way too high, some say they might expand in the fish's stomach if not properly rehydrated and cause bloating or constipation. I really don't know too much about it, but I just prefer not to take a risk, and frozen seems to be the best bet all around and WAY more fish are willing to eat frozen, ime, than freeze dried. I used to give my angelfish freeze dried maybe once a week or so, but once I started giving her frozen, I'm quite certain she actually scowled at me when I popped a couple freeze dried worms in the tank lol.

If you have any friends with fish, see if they want some of the worms and then just split a pack of frozen, or vacuum seal them in a freezer bag if you have a food saver. If they're in little squares though, they're usually sealed anyway until you open that square, so I personally don't think you really have to worry about freezer burn.

Back
Top Bottom