Rate for lowering elevated tank temp water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacky12

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a malfunction in the heater for a 125 G housing one Oscar and two sevs.
The temp rose overnight from ~74F to ~95F. The fish look good. I pulled the plug & will discard the bad heater. The temp dropped to ~90F in the last three hours. I opened the glass lids & temporarily have egg crate up there. I added 1 gallon of tap temp water and have two frozen smallish water bottles floating inside.

I can easily adjust the temp by a pwc & more floating frozen water bottles. The problem is I don’t know the best rate to get the temp down to where it was before.

Last edited:
Update. Appears the heater did not malfunction, I did. This particular Hygger has an external temperature sensor unlike the others here which have built-in ones. I failed to insert it into the tank & it was hanging out in a room that is kept at 66F nights, so it struggled to maintain the desired tank setting of ~74F. I’m thinking this is what raised the tank temp ~20F. It dropped to 80F and I’ll be keeping a close eye on this gadget.

Update. Appears the heater did not malfunction, I did. This particular Hygger has an external temperature sensor unlike the others here which have built-in ones. I failed to insert it into the tank & it was hanging out in a room that is kept at 66F nights, so it struggled to maintain the desired tank setting of ~74F. I’m thinking this is what raised the tank temp ~20F. It dropped to 80F and I’ll be keeping a close eye on this gadget.

OOOOPS!!! ;)
Just keep an eye out for Ick. Rapid changes in temperature are a leading cause for Ick.

Thanks for the warning. I’ll keep a close watch on those fish of mine. I’ve never had fish with ick, never had rapid temp rise either. I’ll read up on ick tomorrow when the handyman is here to install another outlet in the room on the 15 amp breaker that tripped 3X. He’ll be tapping it off the adjacent 15 amp room that is unused.

Last edited:
You mean a white spot on the glass wall? No white spots or spots of any color in my tank or on the fish.

Ich is a parasite also known as white spot. If your tank is free of ich/ white spot then a temperature swing cant spontaneously cause an infection. The parasite has to be introduced first somehow. Already infected fish that show no sypmtoms can appear to suddenly become infected when a fishes immune system is compromised and the parasite takes advantage.

Yay! Thanks for the info , exactly what I wanna hear!

:band::band:

Back
Top Bottom