Frozen food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkoyko

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought some frozen blood worms but I have a ton left over from the little cube. Can I save what's left for later feedings?

This is my first time using frozen food with the fish and frogs. The female betta only ate 1, the frog's ate 4 a piece and could have kept going, and Fred wouldn't touch it. How do you make a thawed blood worm look better to an old betta?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Soak it in a little diluted garlic juice maybe? Fish like garlic. I store unused portions in the fridge but only overnight and them feed the rest the next morning. Might just try to shave some off a cube next time. Also I'm not sure how many people know this but some people are extremely allergic to bloodworms so use caution. I have dedicated turkey basters and baby med droppers for feeding along with plastic containers for thawing etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I didn't know that.

The blood worms I got come in a little pre-packaged disc about the size of a penny and inch high so i just defrosted them in the package. I'm using a pair of tweezers that are dedicated to tank stuff to grab the worms and put them in the tank. I tried an eye dropper but the worms were too large and became stuck.

Not sure the boyfriend will enjoy the worms in the fridge. I had to hide the package in the back of the freezer and I'm hoping he doesn't see them because he will freak out.

Lol. I use baby medicine droppers for small amounts. They can be found in any pharmacy. I've read the allergic reaction can be very serious. I bought my own dedicated small fridge. Can put much in the freezer section tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Is the allergic reaction just for frozen/live or can the freeze dried ones cause it as well?

I don't think a fish dedicated fridge is warranted for 2 fish and 2 frogs. Maybe one day if I get house and have room for bigger tanks with more fish.

Not sure about freeze dried.

I have over 20 tanks, no one wanted live blackworms or my fishing bait in the household fridge. Lol

Wow! ? 20 fish tanks is a lot, but you breed them. If I ever got into breeding I'm going to guess I would have that many if not more. For now I'll just keep the 3 tanks (soon to be just 2, the 2 2.5g tanks will be merged into 1 10g).

Lol. The boyfriend gave me a look when I told him I feed the kids blood worms for dinner. Then he asked where they are. He hasn't gone near the freezer since I confessed (little does he know that they are in the deep freeze in the basement and not near his ice cream).

I'd just keep them in a zip lock bag to be safe. He should be glad you aren't feeding any of the Repashy gel foods. It's a powder you mix with water and sometimes a little garlic juice. Fish live it but it smells something awful. You have to heat the water and when the powder hits it. Wheeew

The little discs are in sealed plastic containers in a zip lock baggie that's pretty thick. Hopefully that keeps any allergic reactions at bay.

I touched the worms when feeding Fred because he won't eat anything as larger as the blood worm and i had to pull them apart into smaller pieces. I didn't have any issues and the boyfriend won't be touching them unless he suddenly takes an interest in feeding the fish again.

I think I'm good on the Repashy foods. What type of fish eats that?

Lol. The boyfriend gave me a look when I told him I feed the kids blood worms for dinner. Then he asked where they are. He hasn't gone near the freezer since I confessed (little does he know that they are in the deep freeze in the basement and not near his ice cream).

Evil....I like it:p

All kinds of fish eat Repashy. There are many varieties for fry to community fish to something designed for plecos called "morning wood".

My fish all love it. I just hate the smell about as much as I hate the smell of cooked canned salmon. OP if you ever want to try it Ted's Fish Room carries it. You keep the powder in the freezer, make up a batch and keep what you aren't using in the freezer also, then thaw and feed. I pour my mixture into the saucers for flower pots. Makes less of a mess and sinks to the bottom for bottom feeding fish that way.

Evil....I like it:p

It really is evil of me. He has been terrified of parasites since I took a Parasitology class and he helped me to study. We haven't eaten sushi in over a year.

I've seen the nasty sushi videos. Doesn't stop me. I don't smoke, drink alcohol or do extreme sports, or eat gluten. Gotta have some excitement somehow. Lol

My fish all love it. I just hate the smell about as much as I hate the smell of cooked canned salmon. OP if you ever want to try it Ted's Fish Room carries it. You keep the powder in the freezer, make up a batch and keep what you aren't using in the freezer also, then thaw and feed. I pour my mixture into the saucers for flower pots. Makes less of a mess and sinks to the bottom for bottom feeding fish that way.

I may try it in the future when I have something other than bettas. The male is so picky he probably wouldn't touch it and I'd be stuck with a bag of it.

Yeah I wouldn't bother then. Bettas don't usually prefer to eat off the bottom of the tank. If you even get plecos or corys it's worth a try.

I've seen the nasty sushi videos. Doesn't stop me. I don't smoke, drink alcohol or do extreme sports, or eat gluten. Gotta have some excitement somehow. Lol

Haha! Well we smoke, drink, and eat gluten but he learned that a lot of fish that are used in sushi can have parasites and that the number of people getting parasites has increased in the last few years. So no more sushi. ?

We have MTS in our tanks to aerate the sand and I have been able to keep it from him that they can carry the parasite that you find in sushi. I'm just glad that I have bored him enough with taking care of the fish that he has stopped researching everything or I'd be in trouble.

So I am procrastinating on writing a paper and looked up the bloodworm allergy and it encompasses all types. The freeze dried seem to be the worst as people are inhaling the dust but if the frozen ones are touched with bare skin it can also give symptoms. Some people have rashes and itchy eyes, while others ended up in the hospital for shock.

I think I may throw out the freeze dried bloodworms and stick with frozen as they don't produce dust.

Yep I've heard it's a severe allergy. I get them on my hands no problems but inhaling is another story especially because an allergy can develope at any time. I think I first learned of said allergy from an actual book. Now it seems new info comes out so fast there are just a mishmash of poorly written ebooks on current topics.

Back
Top Bottom