Frozen food/parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeneequa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can frozen foods like blood worms contain parasites? My fish have gotten internal parasites pretty bad, but I have not added new fish since tanks start up a year ago, so I think it may be from frozen foods.

Frozen foods generally don't carry parasites, but when fed to fish incorrectly it can lead to intestinal problems. This is caused by flagellated protozoa which attacks the disgestive system and the lower intestine. Frozen foods can irritate the track which can lead to constipation, Bloat, and Hexamita.

What fish and to what are you feeding them?

Cheaper quality products that have not been properly prepared/stored/shipped are more likely to have possible issues. Hikari, for example, triple sterilizes their bloodworms & other frozen fish food items. But, in general, I have only heard of a single documented situation where a parasite/protozoa was able to withstand being frozen below 0c for a lengthy period of time then heated to 66c & was still viable after heated, frozen cycles. Its extremely rare (myxobolus cerebralis) in general so this is not as big of a concern. Live/wild foods are probably the biggest culprits for carrying bacteria & parasites.

Usually freezing wild food or any other types of food for a few days or 1 full week kills any parasites. Always thaw away from tank water.

Back
Top Bottom