Future stocking ideas- 33 gallon flatback hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

segrayson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an extra 33 gallon flatback hex tank sitting around. The tank is sort of an awkward size and I have been at a loss with stocking ideas. In was wondering if it would be feasible to put a pair of angels in a tank like this? I am not even sure what other fish might be possible if the angels are an option. Any thoughts/ideas?

IMO an angel could work, but just one I would think if you wanted other fish. Because it is limited on swim space, I think a pair would be all that could fit in there.

If you wanted some tank mates, I think a BN plec would do fine in that shaped tank. I don't know of any schooling fish that could do well in there, but I would think glass catfish might be fine in there.

Can you please give us the height, width at the back, width of the front, and the distance form the front panel to the back? That will help. I do agree that an angel or 2 should be ok, but knowing a bit more about the tank will help us be able to give better advice. :)

The tank is 36" long in the back, 22"long in the front, 12" deep, 20" high. I know that angels need the vertical room but I wasn't sure that this particular tank would work....

Hmmmm... Well, angels get pretty tall when you factor in their fins. In that height just the glass, or that the depth the water would be? Just curious because if you have gravel taking up 2 inches on the bottom, and then have the water level down 2 inches from the top, you are only looking at about 16 vertical inches of water.

That is the total height of the tank. So technically, less water. I guess I am just at a loss as to how to stock the tank at this point because of it's odd size/shape. I wanted to plant it as well but I can't figure out the lighting unless I do a DIY hood.

Yeah, I agree that lighting would have to be diy. I think you could maybe be ok with an angel. But thats just my opinion, it not ideal, but I think it would be ok. Maybe somebody else thinks differently though. I think you have space for a variety of schooling fish. Instead of an angel, skirt tetras could be an option. My skirts swim vertically as well as horizontally, and the white ones are lovely and resenble mini-angels. :)

I think I have read that angels like to have the company of other angels, so I would rather do some small schools instead of a single angel. I am open to any and all suggestions, I just think angels are so beautiful I was hoping they might work out. I will have to look at the skirt tetras though! Thanks!

A single angel is fine. They are territorial, so they do fine alone. You could maybe do 2 in there, but there is never a guarantee that 2 angels will get along. I agree that they are beautiful. Like I said, it might work, but I think there are some other options out there which would work better, so you may as well look into those.
Before I got a tank big enough for angels, I got white hi-fin skirt tetras. They are beautiful. They were the closest thing I could find. Another option is 2 dwarf angels, but they are usually hard to find and a bit spendy.
Gouramis are also lovely. Opaline, blue, gold, honey, or pearl would each do really well IMO.

Pearl gouramis are a great alternative to angels IMO, and they tend to be more peaceful with each other, and even with other species. That said, I think your tank would be fine for a pair of angels. I wouldn't necessarily add anything else if you go that route with it.

If you were to do a pair or trio of pearl gouramis, IMO you could add a school of tetras, smaller rasbora, or similar, and a small group of bottom feeders like corydoras, or kuhli loaches.

Thank you severum mama! I like the gouramis, and would really like to have a more 'active' tank like you suggested (and I have been in love with kuhlis since I first saw them!). I think I will hold off on the angels until (inevitably) I get a bigger tank!

Pearls are lovely. :) And I think you have a lot of options are smaller schoolers to go with them. Rummies, cardinals, or kerri blue tetras are all nice and colorful. I love penguin tetras too.
Kuhlis are amazing little guys. You could also do corys.

I have actually been following all of severum mama's classifieds and the kerri blues are on my wish list. I love the ember tetras as well. I have been compiling a list of all the fish I like...I only lack the lighting and tank stands to get started on the 33 gallon and a 40 gallon breeder. I'm hoping Santa is good to me this year!

I have embers and I love them! They are tiny and cute. IMO, they would match pearls really well because they are not too boisterous and you could have a pretty big school of them in a tank as big as you have. :) Also, the colors would match!

Those kerri's are gorgeous. I absolutely love mine! They aren't really a tight schooling tetra, but if the tank is nicely planted they seem to stick together a bit better.

For the sake of the kuhli's I would use sand as your substrate since they love to burrow in it. :)

I think that I am going to do sand substrates in both of these tanks; I have some cories I am going to re-home in the 40B and I want kuhlis so badly I can hardly stand it! I am okay with fish not schooling as I like to think they are just comfortable in their environment :). It's great to hear positive things about the fish that are on my wish list!

Back
Top Bottom