Gar id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, it's from Practical Fishkeeping Mags Facebook page - part of a campaign that's starting soon that's trying to highlight problems with monster fish in aquariums, personally I was really glad to see Clown Loaches on the graph - poor guys must be the most oversold unsuitable fish for most tanks in the hobby.

Timeline Photos | Facebook

Thanks! Yea I really agree! I always research fish before I get them but even I brought them not knowing how big they got!! The shop said nothing about there size it's just lucky I have the room they need.

Borderlesscott said:
Hi, it's from Practical Fishkeeping Mags Facebook page - part of a campaign that's starting soon that's trying to highlight problems with monster fish in aquariums, personally I was really glad to see Clown Loaches on the graph - poor guys must be the most oversold unsuitable fish for most tanks in the hobby.

Timeline Photos | Facebook

I disagree, I'd say the common Pleco. And that isn't my experience with Pangasius Cats. I have a pair and have owned them for about 6 months and one is only 3.5 inches long and the other 5.5

Common plecos are a victim of it as well but it's a lot more commonly known that they get big than it is clown loaches IME.

Plus most buyers take 4-5 Clowns home at a time, common Pleco's do get huge and again a fish sold in large numbers to unknowing buyers but for shear numbers sold the Clown has to be up there unfortunately.

I agree, I researched it before I got mine and was very shocked they got that big, I was lucky enough to still have room :)

Got my new gar! Much smaller than the alligator gar, I was told it would max out at 18" so much more manageable :) here's a pic

Attachments

• image-1772985231.jpg
    image-1772985231.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 64
Shane87 said:
Got my new gar! Much smaller than the alligator gar, I was told it would max out at 18" so much more manageable :) here's a pic

Awesome! :D

Yea but can't remember exactly what he said, I think he said it was a long nose gar?

I'm having problems getting him to eat :( I managed to get him to eat a cricket the 1st day but since then nothing! The shop said he was feeding well on prawns but he won't even take them, he looks healthy and swims well checked the the levels today and same as always

Amo 0
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 20ppm ( due a water change but don't want to stress him anymore)
Ph 7.2
Temp 82

Like I said he seems healthy and is nice and fat so am I just worrying over nothing?

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom