German blue rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I have a planted 29 gallon, I have a Raphael catfish, Bolivian ram, and 4 kuhli loaches as bottom feeders( I don't have them, I mean they are the bottom feeders I'll be having) I want to add a German blue ram, and I have some questions
1. Will it be ok with the Bolivian ram?
2. Are they really as delicate as people say they are?
Thanks, any tips you guys have on them will be appreciated thanks :)

I'm not sure I'd risk Kuhli loaches with the catfish. As for rams, in a 29g you have room for 1 or possibly a pair but there could be aggression issues with the catfish if you have a pair. German Blue Rams are just very sensitive to water quality, especially high nitrates. You have to keep nitrates below 20ppm. Good quality GBR's are not as delicate as they are made out to be. The problem is many that are sold are imported from Asian fish farms who are known for pumping the fish full of hormones to achieve faster, better color, and for their poor husbandry practices. These fish often have shortened life spans. If you get them from a good breeder or a place like Oddballfish who breeds their own, the GBR's are as hardy as Bolivians. Most all my rams live 3ish or slightly longer years which is very good for rams. So basically if you get good stock and keep water parameters stable and pristine then they are very hardy little fish to keep.

Ok, so you would recommend adding only the catfish, German blue ram, and Bolivian ram?
Also, how does a healthy German blue ram look like? And if I get a female German blue and a male Bolivian do you think that will reduce aggression?
Thanks for the help!

If you get one of each (Bolivian and GBR) they will fuss with each other as well as possibly with other fish.

As for the Rapheal catfish, I don't keep them as I'm not into catfish for the most part but you have to take into consideration the size of the cat and your other fish since the general rule with catfish is if it can fit in their mouth it's probably going to get eaten at one point.

Google pic's of GBR's and you can see tons of pictures of what a healthy one looks like. They are much more colorful than Bolivians.

Ok thanks!
So I guess what I'm going to do is add a Bolivian first to get a feel of rams and kuhli loaches plus the cat, does that sound good?

Ok thanks!
So I guess what I'm going to do is add a Bolivian first to get a feel of rams and kuhli loaches plus the cat, does that sound good?

Having multiple rams is ok but you need the space and vegetation to somewhat alleviate aggression. Right now I have Bolivians, Germans, and golds. Once in a while they dart at eachother but nothing threateningly hostile. It's a very peaceful environment but my tank is also planted and full of driftwood and slate decor. Too open of a tank can be an issue territorially.

Yea my tank is going t be heavily planted with a lot of driftwood too, so do you think that's enough?

I'm sorry but a foot print of 30"L x 12"W is not suitable for more than 1 pair of rams. Plus your wanting to add a catfish in that space also.

Honestly I would add the Kuhli loaches and a Ram pair or single and forget the Catfish. Your going to have a more active tank IMO than one with the Catfish and Ram.

Back
Top Bottom