Getting Drift Wood to sink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Freakgecko91 said:
I have a 2 foot piece of Malaysian driftwood that supposedly was in a tank for over a year before I bought it. It is sill leaching tannins after another 3-4 months in my tank...

This was from several weeks ago, but thought it would demonstrate the idea pretty well

Gah!!!!

Mind you that my driftwood was never boiled as I didn't have anything large enough to boil it in haha

Freakgecko91 said:
Mind you that my driftwood was never boiled as I didn't have anything large enough to boil it in haha

Haha if I can't fit it then I put it in the sink or tub and just pour boiling water over it.

I've got a few pieces from the creek the other day, I have it soaking in my 55 in my yard. I haven't decided what to do with my 55 yet so it serves as my driftwood "bucket" lol if a piece is too big to fit in that than I don't need it :)

gobluewolverines4 said:
I have, but now I have to wait for it to water log per se and make sure it sinks. Does anybody have any slate drilling instructional video links??

The only thing I KNOW about drilling slate for aquaria use is that stainless steel screws are recommended. I'm sure you can find vids on YouTube.

Drill a small hole in the bottom of the piece of driftwood. This hole will be used to secure the driftwood to a piece of slate or another solid base. Drill the same size hole in your piece of slate. You can choose a small piece of slate if you want--just make sure it is large enough to attach the driftwood securely.
Insert a stainless steel screw into the hole you drilled in the slate base, then into the piece of driftwood. Be sure to use a stainless steel screw--other materials will quickly rust in the aquarium.
Tighten the screw with a screwdriver and make sure the driftwood is firmly attached to the slate base. The place the slate on the bottom of your aquarium and cover it with gravel so that only the driftwood is visible.

For the screws, make sure that they are stainless steel, not stainless plated. Something close to a 316L which is a low carbon grade. If you still feel a little uneasy about the screws, cover it with a little aquarium silicone to prevent moisture from getting on the metal

how about a ungaged slate tile for flooring most wouldn't have been treated with anything til the consumer gets them, maybe boil it to be sure...

Back
Top Bottom