Getting some gbr's... Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Passatryde

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I found someone who is local selling two pairs of German blue rams but I'm kinda nervous because I read they can be difficult to keep. I have a 55 gallon with neons, Colombian tetras ( one makes me nervous with the rams because he's a fin nipper - kinda a bully), rasboras, a Pleco and some platties. I just tested my water and nitrites were zero, ph was 8.2 (kinda nervous about that but I read chiclids like it around there anyway), ammonia was zero and nitrates looked like they were roughly 20 ppm (probably a little less). I don't know how hard my water is but if I were to guesstimate I would say medium based on other areas I've been. I have half live plants and half fake... Qui te a few of them... I also have caves and Malaysian driftwood so they should be able to hide fine.

Any recommendations?

Everything sounds good except the 8.2ph. Most gbr's other than wildcaught can adapt to higher ph. but 8.2 might be pushin it a tad.

I respectfully disagree. All extremes should try to be avoided. If they were raised in something close to 8.0 or so then they should be fine. If they were at a much lower ph. then even with proper acclimatization the stress may prove to be to much.

Cichlid Kid said:
I respectfully disagree. All extremes should try to be avoided. If they were raised in something close to 8.0 or so then they should be fine. If they were at a much lower ph. then even with proper acclimatization the stress may prove to be to much.

+1, i have a 60 with two GBR and four Bolivian rams. The GBR are More difficult to keep healthy when it comes to water quality. IMO, be prepared to work to keep your parameters stable for these guys.

So how do I lower the ph? Do those additives really work? I tested the ph from my tap water and it's 7.8 so I don't know that water changes would help. I've never tried to alter the ph before.... What are your recommendations

Also... If they're more difficult to keep healthy. What types of symptoms should I keep an eye out for?

Drift wood is said to lower ph, I think a stable ph would be better for your fish then constantly messing with chemicals and having your ph fluctuate.

a.tetreault said:
Drift wood is said to lower ph, I think a stable ph would be better for your fish then constantly messing with chemicals and having your ph fluctuate.

Don't forget, when you lower you ph, your water tends to soften. Low ph water lacks a good buffer and can fluctuate easily. For example, I used RO water for years, only to find out the ph was never actually stable. Almost lost my rams.

a.tetreault said:

Yeah i heard that too but i already have a big piece of Malaysian drift wood ( probably 10" x 12") so I think I need another remedy

i think that you could do rams... if you did a VERY LONG drip acclimation, i do this will all my fish because the store i go to has PH of 6.8-7 and mine is 7.8-8.... i use a 5 gallon bucket and get a drip going with about 1 drip ever 4-5 seconds, its takes several hours but i will help prevent loss

i keep 3 gbr at a ph of 7.8, i believe that if they are acclimated to the PH and then it stays constant, you should be fine.... PLEASE dont start adding additives to your tank to control Ph, they cause way more harm than good, and generally causes swings in ph.... getting more driftwood may help, as would peat moss.. BUT i DONT suggest the peat moss because as soon as you do a PWC you can send your fish into shock, your WC water will have a higher Ph and will be replacing lower Ph = Ph swing...bad news :/

i wouldnt worry so much about the fish in your tank, GBRs can hold their own, especially during spawning, they may become aggressive. i would suggest getting more live plants if you get the rams, Vals and long types of Crypts are nice because they do a good job at breaking the line of sight.

how long has the tank been up and running?

i think that you could do rams... if you did a VERY LONG drip acclimation, i do this will all my fish because the store i go to has PH of 6.8-7 and mine is 7.8-8.... i use a 5 gallon bucket and get a drip going with about 1 drip ever 4-5 seconds, its takes several hours but i will help prevent loss

i keep 3 gbr at a ph of 7.8, i believe that if they are acclimated to the PH and then it stays constant, you should be fine.... PLEASE dont start adding additives to your tank to control Ph, they cause way more harm than good, and generally causes swings in ph.... getting more driftwood may help, as would peat moss.. BUT i DONT suggest the peat moss because as soon as you do a PWC you can send your fish into shock, your WC water will have a higher Ph and will be replacing lower Ph = Ph swing...bad news :/

i wouldnt worry so much about the fish in your tank, GBRs can hold their own, especially during spawning, they may become aggressive. i would suggest getting more live plants if you get the rams, Vals and long types of Crypts are nice because they do a good job at breaking the line of sight.

how long has the tank been up and running?

So when you get the fish they're coming with enough water to put them in a5 gallon bucket? I mean I never tried but that seems like it would need a lot of water.
The tank has been up and running for about 3 months. Haven't had any real fluctuations in water parameters since I started adding fish and I've been testing weekly.

Passatryde said:
So when you get the fish they're coming with enough water to put them in a5 gallon bucket? I mean I never tried but that seems like it would need a lot of water.
The tank has been up and running for about 3 months. Haven't had any real fluctuations in water parameters since I started adding fish and I've been testing weekly.

I always ask for a bigger bag and more water, you could always use a smaller bucket. long as the fish have enough water they will be OK (IMO)

with such a high Ph. I would shoot for a 500-600% water acclimation. ex. if you bring them home in 1/2 gal of water.. acclimate to 2 ½ - 3 gal

so i grabbed one pair of GBR's and one pair of gold rams from this guy - i put them in my tank after slowly acclimating them to my water. They look great except i noticed one has what appears to be a small bump under one of his scales (hope it's nothing). The other odd thing is that since i put them in the tank both the blue rams keep banging eachother in the face with their lips - kinda like kissing gouramis do but they do it hard and quick like they're trying to hurt eachother. Is that normal?

viewer

Back
Top Bottom