Ghost shrimp and bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dancersmama79

Aquarium Advice Freak
would ghost shrimp and bettas be compatible? what would be the best type of food to feed ghost shrimp? ive heard algae wafers that sink to the bottom just wondering if anyone can suggest anything and what would be good hiding spots for them when they are moulting??

It's another one of those maybe situations. Some bettas are fine with ghost shrimp, some will kill them, and some will use them as a snack. If you have a less aggressive betta, try one out for starters and then go from there.

Well, good for you being prepared. I would still only try one at first. They are difficult to catch, especially if you have a betta chasing them too. I have a few bettas that are fine with shrimp, but to of mine eat them. So, it's really a toss up. Honestly, my pearl fighter is so chill and has no issues with other fish and snails. But, a ghost shrimp? He thinks it's dinner.

mines swam up and grabbed the flakes or if using sinking pellets would pounce on them. if your doing a natural scape then build a series of caves with rocks, if using artificial deco then anything with holes for them to get into... i had mine back when i was using fake decorations and they hid anywhere they could.GL!

I totally agree with TheCrazyFishLady (lol, it sounds funny to sat that). It all depends on the betta. The only way to know is to try it.

ive been doing alot of reading on all different kinds of fish and ghost shrimp and on different sites and what levels to watch for in the water and all that so im doing my homework too..

The gravel doesn't really matter much except for looks and rooting plants in. A bare bottom tank can be just as healthy of a tank as one with gravel. If you like the way the gravel looks, don't worry about it. If you want a bit more, go for it. :)

i was just thinking more gravel would help keep things stable in the bottom of the tank. and i was wondering if ghost shrimp are burrowers like snails are? i was thinking of eventually getting a snail or two and i know they like to burrow in the gravel and hide during the day... i was also thinking about getting some anubia plants or java fern

My ghosties never burrowed. They did like to sit under/in plants though. My snails never burrow either though. I think MTS burrow some, but I don't know if they still do it in gravel or not.
If you think its not enough gravel for the plants, you can always add a little more. I think I ended up with like 7 lbs in my 5g tank personally.

Back
Top Bottom