Ghostfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orange Oreo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, hello, I have looked up about the Ghostfish and it says that they are aggressive twords smaller fish(I have mollies and a swordtail)But my dad really really wants one. Is there anything possible I could do, or like get a really tiny Ghostfish so he/she will get used to they mollies and swordtail and not become aggrssive twords them?(I do know they get quite big) Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

If your dad really wants to get a ghostfish, he needs to be aware of how to properly care for it. Otherwise, he won't get to enjoy the true beauty and personality of the fish.
They need very large tanks because they grow so big. 100 gallons+. They are also scaleless fish, which makes them more sensitive. They tend to be shy and it takes considerable work for some people to get them to eat initially. As you noted, they can be aggressive and it would be awful if they decided to make a meal out of your smaller fish. Even if you get a small one, they will eventually grow large enough to fit their tankmates in their mouths (or might even go after them before they are large enough).
If he really wants one, I'd recommend looking on Craigslist or other classifieds for a used tank over 100 gallons. Sometimes, you can find them for exceptionally good prices. Then he can set it up for a ghostfish and enjoy it fully, without risking the health of your other fish or cramping it.

I do have a 115-120 gallon tank, somewhere around that range.

Black ghost knife fish will go after fish which it can eat. It won't go after big fish. I havw seen some guys kept them with even neon tetras but that's not right. I don't think a black ghost can eat a Molly easily.

I have a like 8 inches long and it sadly ate my zebra danios and few guppies. Remember they always attack at night when lights are off. Swordtail it will definitely go after. But Mollys are big for a small black ghost knife to eat.

And you must know that this fish grows very slowly. To reach to ita full size it requires like three years so if u get a small black ghost you still have so much time before it could heart your mollies. It reach to like 8 inches in over an year but then grows very very slowly. My eight inch did ate sword tails. But Mollies no because they are too big for him to eat.

And black ghost is not aggressive towards other big fish. It is only aggressive to other same black ghost fish or other scaleless fish like elephant nose which is not recommended anyways.

Back
Top Bottom