Girlfight at the LFS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hara said:
what is more scarey is that not only do these people have fish, but someday, they may even be parents.......

8O That brings to mind so many things that could go wrong.

Good story, unfortunately a common occurance at many lfs's sad to say.

I had a pet store manager tell me that green water was "a good thing". I'd known him for a while, and knowing how stubborn he was I changed the topic quickly to avoid an argument I couldn't win. How's that old saying go? Don't argue with a fool, people might not be able to tell you apart?

That is priceless. I am lucky to have a REAL LFS (2, actually) near me with knowledgeable employees (One even told me about fishless cycling and that he was proud I was doing it).

I am a newbie, but from common sense and def. after reading this I'd never take advice from someone at a place like Petsmart.

LOL that was enjoyable to read.

STARFYRE said:
There were kids in the SW section and they asked a girl what LR was. She said "That's LR...and someday it will turn into this." (and pointed at the corals). Whoa!
I can't wait till my LR magically turns into corals!! LOL! :)

My mom believes this. I brought my LR home: "Is the the coral?" "No, they're rocks." Repeat 10 times. Then, "But the coral will grow out of the rocks?"
Course, it didn't help that I had a colony of mushrooms pop up on the rocks, so now she's totally convinced.

My LFS is normally pretty good. They do know a lot about SW, because that's most of their business and most of what the employees keep. The only time I've ever seen anyone else looking at FW while I was there, they were clearly newbies, and the employee (who was also clearly a newbie :roll: ) was going tank to tank with them so they could decide what fish to get. When they got to the arowana, the employee told them they got 6 feet long and eat monkeys in the wild. The people were very impressed.

Mosaic said:
My LFS is normally pretty good. They do know a lot about SW, because that's most of their business and most of what the employees keep. The only time I've ever seen anyone else looking at FW while I was there, they were clearly newbies, and the employee (who was also clearly a newbie :roll: ) was going tank to tank with them so they could decide what fish to get. When they got to the arowana, the employee told them they got 6 feet long and eat monkeys in the wild. The people were very impressed.

they dont?? :?:

I dont think i could have stopped myself from laughing if i heard someone say that Arowanas eat monkeys in the wild.

This kinda reminds me of when i walk in to a computer store and the sales person is jsut spewing BS to some unknowing customer that is just bying in to it. the biggest downfall here is that they are dealing with living creatures and not inanimate material objects.

-Pleco

cabezon said:
Mosaic said:

they dont?? :?:

I think he was thinking of arapaima. But still, its a weird thing to hear, ya know?

So can I get one in a 20gal with neons? You hear the funniest things at the LFS.

I want a monkey

Spider-Monkey2-thumb.jpg

LOL

It was sad to see the gal at the lfs here leave, she had quit. Now it's all being run by gals that worked in the other parts of the pet store and know more about cats, mice, hamsters, etc. And sometimes when I'm in there, I overhear some comments they give customers, like when you start your fish tank, you fill with water, put in Stress Coat, wait 48 hours, and your tank is cycled, lol.

As for the original story here, I thought that was great, thanks for sharing..... :)

Can you iamgine having to catch monkeys just to feed your fish? You'd be all scratched up.

theotheragentm said:
Can you iamgine having to catch monkeys just to feed your fish? You'd be all scratched up.

If you can read that monkeys mind its saying "put down the damn cymbals and run, its a arowana!!!"

eek, pun intended.

-Pleco

Here monkey monkey..that's a good monkey, now get it the bag monkey..AAAHHHHH!!! BAD MONKEY!
LOL!

Quick question on arowanas. I'm thinking of getting a pair for my 10 gallon that's currently breeding Red Cherries. I'll be feeding it Monkies, with the Red Cherries eating any leftover Monkies- They are great scavengers!

I'm thinking spider monkies would be the best, and would like to breed them myself to make sure they are healthy. Thing is, I can't find out if spider monkies prefer freshwater or brackish!

Also, will my Red Cherry shrimp eat the arowanas?

LOL MarkP!!!! Although...I have contemplated buying sea monkeys. I heard somewhere that fish love them.
BTW this is one of the greatest threads. That was a great idea to share that with us Spaul2. You could suggest employee spaghetti wrestling to the LFS manager.

Peyton said:
I had a pet store manager tell me that green water was "a good thing". I'd known him for a while, and knowing how stubborn he was I changed the topic quickly to avoid an argument I couldn't win. How's that old saying go? Don't argue with a fool, people might not be able to tell you apart?

I'd agree with your store manager.

MarkP said:
I'm thinking spider monkies would be the best, and would like to breed them myself to make sure they are healthy. Thing is, I can't find out if spider monkies prefer freshwater or brackish!

Spider monkeys are brackish...go with marmosets, they are freshwater and more nutritious.

Also, will my Red Cherry shrimp eat the arowanas?

Only during months with no Ks in them.

I was at one of those large petstore chains today buying new bulbs and over heard a woman talking to an employee about Bettas, and asking if it was possible to put two males in a tank together and he replied no two males will fight and one will die. He then continued to give his " professional guidance" by telling her that they do better in groups. At that point I couldn't take it anymore and inteceded telling her that she would be better of chosing a different fish if she wanted a bunch of fish in her tank, at that point I was aked to leave the store(not the first time this happened).

Toirtis said:
MarkP said:

Spider monkeys are brackish...go with marmosets, they are freshwater and more nutritious.

My LFS only has marmosets that are acclimated to saltwater. They said they lost 90% of the monkies during acclimation, if I acclimated them back to freshwater, will I have the same loses? I don't want saltwater, as I understand the sodium can give my arowana's heart disease.

However, my LFS sold me some banana plants to feed the monkies! They also sold me a tank to house them, it's a 29 gallon with an 8 watt incandescent bulb, they said it'll be fine for growing the banana plants and 5 Jungle Vals (Cause monkies like jungles, right?). They also sold me some fertilizer... I didn't know there was Miracle Grow for Aquariums, but the bag says "For Aquarium Use" in black magic marker!

Back
Top Bottom