Gold Nugget Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it just my area or have Gold Nugget Plecos become extremely hard to find? I have been looking at every local fish store near me and no one has anything but common plecos which will definitely not work in my 20 gallon tank. I asked one guy who worked at the fish store and he said they aren't even on his list where he could special order one and that they may be becoming endangered. Is this true at all?

If I can't find one, what other small plecos would you suggest for a 20 gallon tank? (I had a clown pleco but he died from unknown causes and the store where I got him doesn't have anything but commons now either).

And if I can't find anything in my area, what online retailers do you suggest? The only one I am very familiar with is Live Aquaria. I'm just trying to save this option as a last resort because of the shipping and the fact that I don't need anyting other than the pleco so the shipping wouldn't be way too expensive at this time.

I see them all the time at my local shop. Maybe Bernie is using different wholesalers than your local guy uses?

I just noticed that you're in Nashville; that's only a couple of hours away from the shop.

Gold Nuggets really aren't suited for a 20 gal tank. Have you tried looking for a Bristlenose (AKA Busy nose) pleco? Even snowballs would be a good option. Those are a bit pricey though. Well, around here they are.

I like the snowball pleco but what makes it better suited for a 20 gal than a gold nugget? It gets to 5 1/2 inches where as the gold nugget gets to 6 inches? That's not much of a difference.

i second that about planetcatfish--it's one of the best pleco resources online!

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
L177 and L85 (gold nugget) get to 11.8" and 13.2" respectively. according to what I found on a quick search of google.

Yes, but the L18 variety stay smaller (see the link FishyFanatic posted).

Fishfairy, your best bet might be to drive a few hours to wherever Voodoo Chilli is. I just bought one of these a little over a week ago, and I think he's an amazing fish. I wish they weren't noctournal, but at least the one I have chose a hiding spot that still keeps him very visible in my tank. I hadn't seem them before, but my lfs had three, and I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them. Good luch in your search.

I highly recommend www.exoticfinds.net for ordering cool looking, small plecos. There is no minimum like liveaquaria, and Blue is a really great fish breeder. I got a L-316 Rio Jari pleco (supposed to be a L-129 scribble pleco) very rare and worth more than I paid. He stays 3". He a Hypancistrus species just like the Zebra pleco, but cost less. They are not great algae eaters as they are mostly carnivours, but he's a good lookin' fishy, and they have quite a selection of cool plecos there.

Back
Top Bottom