Goldfish, apple snail, and plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Disastroues

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 30 gal tank with 4 comets 1 apple snail and 3 mystery snails running for about 6 months now. I know that apple snails are very voracious plant eaters.
I have been wanting to add some color into the tank with plants. My question is if there are any plants out there that can withstand the appetite of my snail.

I know the comets are going to get much larger, there are plans for a tank up grade in the future. Hopefully a 90 or 120 will suffice. But I'm still looking for hardy plants that can withstand an apple snail appetite. Anyone?

My strategy would be to add something that grows and multiplies faster than the snails can move, regular fertilization would be required.

Elodea and duckweed should be able to outperform even the hungriest of snail.

Anubias do not grow very quickly at all, but from my experience snails tend to leave them alone.

What type of lighting will you be using?

My strategy would be to add something that grows and multiplies faster than the snails can move, regular fertilization would be required.

Elodea and duckweed should be able to outperform even the hungriest of snail.

Anubias do not grow very quickly at all, but from my experience snails tend to leave them alone.

What type of lighting will you be using?

I had to look up elodea. Never heard of that one before. To be honest I had no idea what light I had on the tank before you asked me. The tank was given to me free from a friends dad. The light that is in their is a single 30" fluorescent tube. I took a picture of it. I don't know if that will tell you what type it is. My apple snail, accordingly named apple due to the fact that he is the size of one. Has an intense appetite. He will eat a large leaf of lettuce in a night. Would the Anubias be enough of a detetrrent?

Attachments

• 1393734391475.jpg
    1393734391475.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 64
I actually would not be worried about your snail. The comets are going to be a much bigger issue. They will uproot and devour plants before the snail even realizes plants exist. If you start offering them daily veggies and get them in the regular habit of eating them, you may be able to minimize plant destruction. Plant anchors will limit uprooting,too. Hope this helps!

My apple snails never used to eat my plants, I thought this and there slower /eaiser to control breeding was what attracted aqauriam keepers to them ,
It was my excuse for having them lol

They would climb on and eat from the plants like sword leafs ,but not the actual plants ,
Maybe you need to offer them thin slice of cucumber or algy wafer ?

Like said ,The comments will trash your plants and aqua scaping far more than snails will .

Thanks jlk. I'll look for some plant anchors today when I go to the LFS.
Wave dancer what plants did you have in your tank?

I use plastic plant anchors from aquariumplants.com when needed. Inexpensive and easy to use. My main goldfish tanks are heavily planted but my guys are well versed in their veggies. They are also fancies which are not quite as destructive to plants but they have even done a number on the plants when left to their own devices when we have been away.

Aim for hardier plants such as anubias or swords. Java fern and some crypts may be ok. Floating plants such as water lettuce may or may not survive but are worth trying. Parrots feather is an interesting and fast growing plant that usually holds its own with goldfish. Avoid mosses, anacharis and hornwort are they will massacred. Wisteria and some delicate stemmed plants can be tried if the tougher plants survive. Please ask any questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom