goldfish gang warfare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saaebn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I originally had 5 large goldfish in my tank. For over a month they all lived together happily until three of the fish started picking on one of the other fish. They would chase it around a bit and then back off so I wasnt too worried until they started boxing him into a corner and ramming him as hard as they could. It was stressful to watch. I didnt think the goldfish would survive that so I finally put him in a friends pond where he died a couple days later. I am thinking all the stress was just too much for him! Anyhow I thought the fighting would be over and was surprised to see my 3 goldfish bullies start to pick on the remaining goldfish. He usually just stayed out of their way so I dont know what caused this. The fighting then got so bad that 3 days ago I cleaned out my pond and put him in there. He is doing fine now. The 3 remaining goldfish are fine now, but I am wondering why all the fighting in the first place? Plus, I have them in a 75 gal tank and so 3 goldfish make it seem a bit empty. I would like to get two more but am worried that the fighting will begin again. My hubby-who is not really into fish- just says to get rid of all my goldfish and start over. I dont want to have to do that . Any advice?

Thanks
Stacie

All you say is that you had 5 large goldfish, you don't say how large. may be your goldfish felt a bit cramped and wanted to make some more room. They definately took a dislike to the other goldfish because of the aggression.

More info please.

sorry- they are all about 5 inches. I have read 10 gal per goldfish .? my tank is a 75 gal.

right now I have:
3 goldfish 5 in
1 speckled molly 2 in
1 stripped catfish 1 in
2 mystery snails
1 sliver fish my hubby bought 1-2 in

thanks stacie

Back
Top Bottom