Goldfish in a bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bugshazfun

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm dead set on getting a goldfish bowl. I am planning on cleaning it 2 times a week and feeding it properly. I don't want hate because I've read the pros and cons. I just want advice on the best care and the type of goldfish to buy for this tank. Advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Goldfish get huge. In fact all fish can get huge since they never really stop growing. Goldfish are also very messy and water changes twice a week won't be a good idea sadly.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well what fish can I keep in there??

I read that it is not the best situation but they can be in a fish bowl with doing frequent water changes and not over feeding them. And to provide gravel and things to swim through.

I'd only keep shrimp in a bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Goldfish in general require more space and filtration than most other similarly sized fish. Their digestive system works in a way that makes them particularly messy, and most goldfish will (ideally) grow to be about the size of your average fishbowl. I would only do shrimp or a betta in a bowl, and then only of it was over a gallon and a half in volume, cleaned at least every other day, and heated.

Goldfish can grow to a foot or so long.

So, sure you can keep a goldfish in a bowl......if the bowl is at least 25 inches in diameter.

Go to it!

You could by a biorb tank and do nice planted setup with some tropicals because there really isn't any pros for keeping a goldfish in a bowl unless the bowl is 75 gallons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im still waiting for examples of pros for keeping a goldfish in a bowl. After all, the OP DID say that he read about all the pros and cons. Since Im not aware of any myself I am relying on the OP to educate me.

What tropical fish could be put in there?

What tropical fish could be put in there?

What size is the bowl? And what are the water parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

I haven't bought it yet but maybe 1 1/2 or 2 gal.

Thinking out of the box, and not knowing your budget.

What about jelly fish? They require only the correct water parameters and are sold in their own small contained systems.
http://www.pbnjellies.com

Your profile location is blank. Could you dig a trench, line it, filter it and keep fish in it year round? If yes, then you could build a goldfish pond.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Thinking out of the box, and not knowing your budget.

What about jelly fish? They require only the correct water parameters and are sold in their own small contained systems.
http://www.pbnjellies.com

Your profile location is blank. Could you dig a trench, line it, filter it and keep fish in it year round? If yes, then you could build a goldfish pond.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Jellies are not a beginner animal and can be quite a challenge. Not really an animal for someone who is a beginner aquarist.

So assuming this is a legit question, why a bowl? You could get a 5g tank for the same price and it's not going to take up much more room. If that's the case a betta would be pretty happy there. You'd still need lots of water changes.

And I too curious what the pros if keeping a gold fish in a bowl would be. It's like getting a German shepherd and making it live in a dog kennel, and only hosing it out every other day.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm worried I might not be experienced enough to care for a jellyfish

The only pro is that when the goldfish dies because it shouldn't be in there is that you can clean the bowl and put candy or fruit of dried flowers in it after. :/

So assuming this is a legit question, why a bowl? You could get a 5g tank for the same price and it's not going to take up much more room. If that's the case a betta would be pretty happy there. You'd still need lots of water changes.

And I too curious what the pros if keeping a gold fish in a bowl would be. It's like getting a German shepherd and making it live in a dog kennel, and only hosing it out every other day.

Sent from my iPhone

Oh, while I'm at it, at petco they have 5g for $12.99 and a 10g for $14.99.... Two dollars more and a few inches bigger, get the 10g. Slowly save up for a $15 filter.... Or get the 10g kit for $32 with the light and filter.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom