Goldfish vs Blackbeard Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wobbles

Aquarium Advice Regular
I heard that goldfish will eat it. Is it true?

It seemed to work for a tank in my lfs. Im trying it anyway. Should be fun trying to catch them once the job is done though... :lol: :lol:

My balas eat it too, but they take the leaves with it.

The best fish for it are SAE (mine are goin to town as we speak), Rosy barbs and most barbs in general (balas and SAE are both barbs)

Black mollies are good against hair algae, but so are a lot of fish.

The very high bioiload of goldfish and their habit of eating plants makes me suspect you will be introducing more problems than you solve. Listen to Ozz if you want to use animals to solve the problem. There are many BBA related threads here, some with progression pics, that focus on other methods (CO2/Excel/nutrients/water changes).

I've had great luck combatting BBA with steady 25-30 ppm CO2 levels. Excel and its active algicidal component, glutaraldehyde, also do quite a number on BBA if dosed over time. SAEs and nerite snails are great for BBA maintenance as well. I would avoid goldfish because of the reasons mentioned above. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom