Gonna do it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DodgeRT

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been doing my research and have learned about cycling, care and maintanence for my aquarium and fish. I am now in the process of putting together a shopping list and need some help. I have a 20g that I am going to use and it has the hood and lighting but that is all. Here is what I have so far that I need to purchase:

1 - Test Kit
2 - Rock (1lb per gal)?
3 - Heater (5w per gal)?
4 - Filter (not sure if Im going fluval or biowheel)
5 - In tank thermometer
6 - Pure ammonia for cycling
7 - Pretty stuff (plants, houses, spongebob...)

Am I missing anything?

Looks good to me. Don't forget your dechlorinator and a gravel vac for maintenance. :D

I have well water, thats not an issue right?

I had my water checked at Petsmart one time and they said it was ok but that was back when I only had goldfish.

I have well water, thats not an issue right?
Then there is probably not any chlorine or chloramines. However, most dechlor also condition the water with fairy dust to help your fish get over the stress of being moved around.

Why fairy dust?? I can't think of what I really what to say :roll:

I also have well water, but I still use dechlor with my water changes. Better safe than sorry. :)

Most dechlor also removes heavy metals, which are typically in well water, so your judegment is very good :D

Also, Chemi-pure will help remove metals and other contaminents, at the cost (I think 5$ for a half unit (20Gal)) and having to replace it every 6 months, it might be worth the investment, but it does require a cannister filter to work effectively (or a AquaClear) soemthing that forces water through the media.

So it may be a better idea to go with the Fluval filter over the Biowheel just to have the canister type?

After trying both, I think the Cannisters are more efficient then hob type, the water is sucked through all the media, rather then left to find it's own "easiest path"..

I have both, and the hob is far more work and needs frequent washing of the cartridges to keep it from bypassing the media.. (there is no bypass in a cannister)

the Fluval line, which is the cannister I have, are lower cost then Ehiem and work very well, the 204 is a bit better then the 104 for the additional compartment, this allows you to use floss, carbon and bio-rings (carbon and biorings are included, but carbon should be replaced every month if you choose to use it) floss, whenever you feel like it or the flow slows down.

Thanks Wizzard! I had kinda made up my mind on going canister anyway, but you just confirmed it.

ditto im was gonna get a hob cause i thought i needed one now im not getting a hob

Back
Top Bottom