Good tank size/tankmates for ropefish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
Still in the research/planning phase atm, but I'm trying to plan a tank around a group of rope fish (3-5). I've never kept these guys before but they've always fascinated me. What's the smallest tank that would fit them (while still having room for a few tank mates) and what mid to upper level tank mates work well?

From my own research it sounds like a 120 long would probably be the best way to go but I'd like to hear opinions from anyone more familiar with them :)

At a MINIMUM, at least 50 gals for one. If you'd like to do 3-5, AT LEAST 75 per fish. They can get to be 16-20" and need TONS of room. Figure it like this. If your doorway is 32" wide, and you're 25" wide, how comfortable would you feel making that turn with 7" to spare ??? In all honesty, no matter what you say, not much at all. Then add in some other tank mates. Now you're more crowded. With a great WC and feeding schedule, they could each that size pretty quickly. Bit that's based on what you're willing to invest time wise. Just my opinion, but think about the fish first. You can do it. Just keep researching and asking questions. Can't go wrong that way.

Yep, focusing on what's it takes for them to be happy and then building the tank around that :) Most sites say that while they can reach 16", they usually don't get over 12" in aquariums... Given that, 75 gallons per fish for a very social fish (most people say keep them in groups of 3+) seems a little odd... Are those numbers based on keeping them or reading about them?

Still in the research/planning phase atm, but I'm trying to plan a tank around a group of rope fish (3-5). I've never kept these guys before but they've always fascinated me. What's the smallest tank that would fit them (while still having room for a few tank mates) and what mid to upper level tank mates work well?

From my own research it sounds like a 120 long would probably be the best way to go but I'd like to hear opinions from anyone more familiar with them :)

I love the Epretoichthys Calabaricus, great look with a great personality! They like pretty densely planted tanks with lots and lots of caves and territory. They can get very large and need large tanks to match. It's most common for them to be kept alone and in tanks no smaller than 55 gallons. Now I've never heard of anyone keeping them in a group so I have no clue if they can tolerate each other but as for tank size it would have to be a *very* large tank. You'd need a boat load of width and length to accommodate all of them and have enough room for each one to set up their own little space. I don't know how they may act together, as I've never owned this species not to mention keeping them in a group, but if they follow standard Polypterus rules then they may get scrappy with one another. Just if you do decide to keep them in a group make sure you meet these requiments;
•Have a large enough tank (id say around 120-150 gallons)
•Make sure it's densely planted with tons of caves, rocks and wood
• Make sure each one gets proper nutrition and one is not getting less than the other.
• Try and make these the only bottom dwellers, they're going to take up a lot of space as it is but I highly advise against and other fish on the bottom
• Watch them closely!
If you meet all those requirements I honestly don't see why it shouldn't work out!

I love the Epretoichthys Calabaricus, great look with a great personality! They like pretty densely planted tanks with lots and lots of caves and territory. They can get very large and need large tanks to match. It's most common for them to be kept alone and in tanks no smaller than 55 gallons. Now I've never heard of anyone keeping them in a group so I have no clue if they can tolerate each other but as for tank size it would have to be a *very* large tank. You'd need a boat load of width and length to accommodate all of them and have enough room for each one to set up their own little space. I don't know how they may act together, as I've never owned this species not to mention keeping them in a group, but if they follow standard Polypterus rules then they may get scrappy with one another. Just if you do decide to keep them in a group make sure you meet these requiments;
•Have a large enough tank (id say around 120-150 gallons)
•Make sure it's densely planted with tons of caves, rocks and wood
• Make sure each one gets proper nutrition and one is not getting less than the other.
• Try and make these the only bottom dwellers, they're going to take up a lot of space as it is but I highly advise against and other fish on the bottom
• Watch them closely!
If you meet all those requirements I honestly don't see why it shouldn't work out!

Common misconception on the territorialness, Rope Fish are actually communal, not scrappy all, and tend to be nervous when kept singly according to WetWebMedia and several others. The rest of that sounds pretty consistent with what I've been reading too :) Definitely won't be having other bottom dwellers, but it sounds like Angels, Gourami, or Rainbows are possibilities...

Back
Top Bottom