Gooey Substance on treated Tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
For my tank i've been putting the replacement water in a bucket, putting in the water conditioner (API water conditioner, although i just bought prime cause it was running out), then letting the bucket sit for 48 Hours for the Ph to go down. However by the 2nd day i notice a layer of some sort of Gooey semi-solid substance at the top of the bucket. i remove it with a scooper but a few remains in the bucket. Anybody know what it could be and would it be harmful to my fish? i've done some search and no avail. only possible explanation is i may be using to much water conditioner.

Is it some sort of mold? Could be the water conditioner, some have a slime coat additive... Does this happen with Prime?

If you've been using Stress Coat, it definitely has a rather gooey texture, maybe leave a bucket of straight tap water sitting out and you can isolate that it's definitely formed by the conditioner.

If there's no surface agiation, what you're seeing is completely normal. Even without using a de-chlorinator, you'll get that. It's some sort of bio-film.

Back
Top Bottom