Gravel Question Cory Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer243

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
Once again, PetSmart has messed me up! I went in to buy bottom dwellers for my 10g tank. I have one balloon molly and 6 of her fry in a breeders floater. They recommended 2 peppered cory catfish.

I knew I should've researched first but the employee seemed to be very certain of what she was telling me. So, come to find out that corys need a different type of aquarium gravel or their barbels will get damaged and then lead to infection. I have the regular gravel from the petshop, kind of jagged, not round or polished.

My question is, what would be a good product to use as the substrate? If you know any specific brands, that would be so much more helpful! I would typically want to stay away from sand though.

Also, how on earth would I change the gravel now? The tank has finally cycled so I'm also worried about having to start over and the effects it will have on the mollies.

Thanks for your time and input!!!

I'm in the process of changing my substrate from rocks to sand. A couple ways to prevent a mini cycle is to only replace half at a time or leave the rocks in a mesh bag in the tank so the bacteria are still present.

I got my peppered cories and gravel at petsmart. They sell some roundish gravel that is pretty descent. I have noticed that mine are missing their little barbells, but it hasn't really slowed them down. They are still healthy. I wouldn't stress it unless u want to change substrates anyway. Jmo.

In my experience as long as the substrate isn't jagged cories are good with most substrate. Yes sand is likely preferred but in terms of barbel length I've found that tends to be associated more with nitrate levels than substrate.

I changed my gravel for pool filter sand after losing a Panda Cory to barbel erosion. I was already in a mini-cycle from adding 4 of them at once the day after my cycle finished (lesson learned, or was it?). I took out all of my gravel and permanently removed the rock work I had in there which was initially going to be for African cichlids (I decided to go South American later). I didn't keep any in a stocking to keep it seeded.

On top of that, after the sand was put in, I had made the mistake of buying 10 nickle-sized angelfish and committed to housing them in a now un-cycled tank (they're quarter+ now and soon to be narrowed down to two keepers). I had started bidding on two of them on Aquabid before this all started, and the breeder was 30 minutes away, so he gave me 10 when I picked them up. I should have told him to hold them until I had my cycle under control, but I was too impatient. I was already doing daily water changes, so I figured I may as well continue to pile on the stupidity and add that many fish in at once, heh. It took me 3 weeks of 30% daily water changes to get it cycled again.

I'm not recommending you do ignorant things like I did, but rather showing that a doomsday scenario can be made harmless with a little extra labor. I eventually bumped the shoal of Cory's up to 6 and lost one for no visible reason. They're a tad sensitive. However, the remaining 5 are doing amazingly well now that everything has settled and I've committed to two 30% PWC's a week for them, which seems easy after having done them every. single. day. for three weeks.

The worst thing that can happen is you end up changing out 3-5 gallons of water a day for a week or so. Don't let a mini-cycle scare you away from providing a more suitable environment for your wet pets.

thanks for all of your replies, I have decided to keep the substrate as is, so as to not stress the cories anymore. they seem very happy swimming around during the day and resting at the bottom once i shut off the light. eating habits I would guess to be normal for them, seeing as my molly can eat all day and i haven't had any other fish to compare them to.

THANKS AGAIN YOU GUYS ROCK!!

Back
Top Bottom