Gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I left my filter off for over 48 hours when we moved but what I did was put the filter media in a ten gallon tank that had about 2 gallons of tank water in it with a few of my ghost shrimp. You need to keep the filter media wet with the tank water. I left all my fish in a 20 gallon tub with a long air stone to pump fresh oxygen & just treated their water every time I added more. Yes aquarium sand has to be rinsed. What kind are you using? I used pool filter sand. For my 30 gallon I used a Tupperware container the size of the API master test kit lid, I lived in an apartment at the time I made the switch so a water hose was out of the question as I lived upstairs. Plus i didn't have a 5 gallon bucket to do it in. It took me about 3 hours for the whole process. I bought a 50 gallon bag for $7 @ aces hardware. Also I took a pair of panty hose I got @ Walmart for $1 & cut the foot off & secured it around the filter intake so it wouldn't suck up the sand. I put my filter back in as soon as I got the tank filled up with water since I left a bit of old tank water in & I didn't rinse the tank so some of that bb would still be in it. I also did a few water changes the next day to keep the cloudiness at bay. As soon as I felt it was okay I acclimated my fish & put them back in.

Take your fish out. Drain about 3/4 of the tank & put them in another container with treated water. Then start the process.

Back
Top Bottom