Gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N.Galvin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i am looking to change my gravel to sand and wonder best way to chabge it over do i just take all the gravel out and clean the sand and put it n let it sink ?

And also what is the best way to wash it

Hi i am looking to change my gravel to sand and wonder best way to chabge it over do i just take all the gravel out and clean the sand and put it n let it sink ?

And also what is the best way to wash it

What kind of sand are you planning on using? You can get pool filter sand or play sand really cheap at lowes or home depot. Best way to rinse it is get atleast a 2 gallon bucket, fill halfway with sand, and rinse, rinse, rinse! I used the sprayer on my kitchen sink. Be sure and mix the sand around with your hand to really get it stirred up. I rinsed each bucket 10 times and it still wasn't enough, my water was cloudy, not horribly cloudy but very noticeable, but it cleared up in a few hours. When you think you've rinsed enough.. Keep on rinsing! And the easiest way is to take all your gravel out, and drain your tank water all out, place the sand in the bottom like you want, and when you fill Your Tank back Up It's best to put a plate or something on the sand so your water doesn't mess up your sand you just placed. When rinsing your sand ideally you want the water to run clear when you empty the water from the bucket.

I am not sure what sand i will have a look around to see what is best and once i have put my sand in do i put fresh water back in so its just like i am doing a 100% water change

I am not sure what sand i will have a look around to see what is best and once i have put my sand in do i put fresh water back in so its just like i am doing a 100% water change

Yup. Exactly. I'm in Georgia, but I got a 50lbs bag of play sand for a little under $4. I have a 55g and I only used about half the bag and I would say my sand is about an inch thick.

Yup. Exactly. I'm in Georgia, but I got a 50lbs bag of play sand for a little under $4. I have a 55g and I only used about half the bag and I would say my sand is about an inch thick.

I have only got around a 12g so i wont really need that much and is sand better than gravel and eaiser to clean

Thanks for your reply aswel

I have only got around a 12g so i wont really need that much and is sand better than gravel and eaiser to clean

Thanks for your reply aswel

If you buy sand from a home depot or lowes a 50lbs bag is really your only option. Do you plan on keeping live plants at any point?

Yeh i keep live plants but they die after a few weeks so i just change them im not keeping plants to grow

Yeh i keep live plants but they die after a few weeks so i just change them im not keeping plants to grow

We're you using an fertilizers at all? What kind of plants did you have?

We're you using an fertilizers at all? What kind of plants did you have?

No i didnt use any fertilizer and to be honest im not sure they are just 3 for £8 at my LFS they are in a piece of cork or somthin to keep them down

No i didnt use any fertilizer and to be honest im not sure they are just 3 for £8 at my LFS they are in a piece of cork or somthin to keep them down

That's why they didnt grow is because you didn't use any fertilizers. It's like putting fish a tank and never feeding them. If your interested.. If you can get your hands on some Osmocote fertilizer (get the indoor outdoor one), one ice tray for this purpose only, and some old tank water (probably easiest to make these when your doing a water change) and a freezer. Put 6 of the Osmocote pellets in each cube and fill the tray with tank water. Freeze. Put the cube near your plants and you have a fertilizer! Much cheaper than buying root tabs! Another member here old me about this idea.

That's why they didnt grow is because you didn't use any fertilizers. It's like putting fish a tank and never feeding them. If your interested.. If you can get your hands on some Osmocote fertilizer (get the indoor outdoor one), one ice tray for this purpose only, and some old tank water (probably easiest to make these when your doing a water change) and a freezer. Put 6 of the Osmocote pellets in each cube and fill the tray with tank water. Freeze. Put the cube near your plants and you have a fertilizer! Much cheaper than buying root tabs! Another member here old me about this idea.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you do this with a sand substrate? If so, what type of plants do you use? I would like to have a few, but he whole light, co2, & fertilizer thing stresses me out. I feel like I will kill them before they even have a chance!

Not to hijack the thread, but do you do this with a sand substrate? If so, what type of plants do you use? I would like to have a few, but he whole light, co2, & fertilizer thing stresses me out. I feel like I will kill them before they even have a chance!

I haven't tried it yet (its the same idea as root tabs just much much cheaper!) but the member who told me about this said their plants exploded with it. I plan on trying it soon! And honestly it scared me too. Don't let it scare you! I just got some low light plants and was recommended to use API leaf zone and they would do fine. And they have. My tank doesn't have a hood or a top of any kind, so my lights are cfl's (compact fluorescent's) and clip on lights. Basically when looking for lights to grow plants just look for anything that says 'daylight' and '6500k'. So far I've got about $25 in my lights (2 clip on lamps at $8 a piece and my bulbs were a 3 pack for $7), I currently only have 2 clip on lamps because I only have a few plants, but as I get more plants I'm sure I'll need another clip on lamp.

I'm switching the gravel to sand today. The boys (3 zebra danios) will be going in an established tank with our betta until its done. I'm honestly not sure of the lighting situation with this tank. I bought it used, it has a lid & a light, it seems to be an older set up. The sticker on the light says its a 120volt 20watt 60hz. Is that sufficient for any kind of plant growth? What is a low light plant?

I'm switching the gravel to sand today. The boys (3 zebra danios) will be going in an established tank with our betta until its done. I'm honestly not sure of the lighting situation with this tank. I bought it used, it has a lid & a light, it seems to be an older set up. The sticker on the light says its a 120volt 20watt 60hz. Is that sufficient for any kind of plant growth? What is a low light plant?

What size tank is it?

That's getting the sand? 35 gallons. Betta is a 10 gallon.

Yes, here is a picture.

Attachments

• image-2774722138.jpg
    image-2774722138.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 45

I bought a 50 lb bag of pool filter sand from our local pool supply store for $7 and it was super clean! My water was barely cloudy for a few hours until the sand settled. Just a suggestion.

Ok, so I have read about 100 posts on the advantages and disadvantages of switching from gravel to sand and I have decided to make the change. I want to switch to rid myself of the alkaline PH buffer from the gravel and to provide a better environment for a small group of Panda Corys.

Here is my plan. Step one, turn off my pump and the the tank rest for 10 minutes. Step two, Drain 3/4 of the water from my tank (off the top) into a spare tank I have along with the filter and heater. Step 6, transfer my fish to the spare tank. Step 5, empty and discard the gravel from my tank and rinse it out. Step 6, paint the back of the tank black. Step 7, put in aquarium sand, arrange decor, fill tank, and allow to rest for 24 hours. Step 8, install pump and heater and when temp equalizes, transfer the fish.

Here are the things I am still trying to figure out.

1. Can the pump be off for 30 minutes without becoming "toxic"?
2. Does aquarium sand need to be rinsed? I live in an apartment without access to a garden hose.
3. How many pounds of sand do I need for a 20 gallon tank?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom