Gravel to Sand Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So yep, i want to make the change from gravel to sand. Some of the pieces of gravel are starting to chip and no me gusta.

There are some things that are stopping me from doing it...

1. What sand (brand) should i use?
2. Do i need to buy a completely different filter? (Currently have a Fluval HOB and have heard that sand may ruin the filter.)
3. How difficult is it to clean? Can i just use a regular siphon like i do with gravel?
4. How often do toxic pockets form?

Tank is a 10g
No live plants
1 betta
1 dwarf albino pleco
5 neon tetras

1. Alot of people buy pool filter sand but it doesn't really matter. Just stay away from play sand.

2. No. Just make sure the intake is raised off of the substrate a bit.

3. Super simple to clean. Just hover the siphon above the sand a little and do a swirling motion. No digging in the sand with the siphon.

4. You don't have to worry about them at all. They are harmless.

1. I used silica sand. I also made the switch to gravel to sand about a year or so after I got my big tank up and running. As Mebbid said stay away from play sand. Also make sure to wash it very well.

2. I continued using the same filter that I had. Although it did eventually die, which in part from the sand but also me not keeping an eye on it. I could have gotten a new part of it but instead I just got a new filter which was an upgrade from the one I had. Just make sure it's a good distance from the sand. Also let everything settle for a while if you can.

3. I've never had an issue with cleaning. I use a regular siphon like I had with gravel. Although you will loose some sand while cleaning so if you have extra that's always a plus. If need be you can always add some to the tank if you need to.

4. I've never had an issue with toxic pockets. I know many people say to get snails to help if you feel the need to. I've never ventured into snail territory, to worried about over population after some horror stories I've heard. While cleaning your tank you can always run your hands or something else through the and to give it a good stir.

2. I continued using the same filter that I had. Although it did eventually die, which in part from the sand but also me not keeping an eye on it. I could have gotten a new part of it but instead I just got a new filter which was an upgrade from the one I had. Just make sure it's a good distance from the sand. Also let everything settle for a while if you can.

I like the way you think. :D

I will add, if you have diggers, you will need either a pre filter or a canister. I had 2 HOB filters on my 55g Mbuna tank and one fish in particular liked to spit sand right next to the intake. I switched to a canister and at one point I found 2 pounds of sand in my canister because of him.

He murdered both of my HOB filters.

I will add, if you have diggers, you will need either a pre filter or a canister. I had 2 HOB filters on my 55g Mbuna tank and one fish in particular liked to spit sand right next to the intake. I switched to a canister and at one point I found 2 pounds of sand in my canister because of him.

He murdered both of my HOB filters.

Wow 2 pounds! :eek:

Wow 2 pounds! :eek:

This is the fish that did it and the hole he dug. The sand used to be flat.

75748-albums12252-picture57030.jpg

Back
Top Bottom